The Pokémon Video Game and Trading Card Game Winter Regional Championships will be taking place across the United States over the next three weekends, and will mark the first time competitors will battle in a Pokémon Video Game Championship Series event playing Pokémon X or Pokémon Y for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.
The Pokémon Winter Regional Championships will be taking place at the following locations and dates:
- Doswell, VA – January 11th-12th – (TCG both days, Video Game Jan. 12th only)
- Long Beach, CA – January 18th-19th – (TCG both days, Video Game Jan. 19th only)
- Salem, OR – January 18th-19th – (TCG both days, Video Game Jan. 19th only)
- St. Charles, MO – January 18th-19th – (TCG both days, Video Game Jan. 18th only)
- Orlando, FL – January 25th-26th – (TCG both days, Video Game Jan. 26th only)
With so many locations across the country, fans, competitors, and enthusiasts have a great opportunity to attend the Pokémon Winter Regional Championships no matter where they are.
These events are open to the public, and to compete players must bring their own copy of Pokémon X or Pokémon Y and a Nintendo 3DS or 2DS system for the video game section, or a legal Pokémon TCG deck for the trading card game section. Pokémon tournaments use Swiss-style pairings, so all players can play in every round of the event until the finals are determined, as well as numerous other friendly side events throughout the day.
Top finishers in both the TCG and video game events will receive booster packs, trophies, and stipends from a pool of nearly $200,000 in travel allowances, which can be applied toward earning a Pokémon U.S. National Championships Travel Award or even an invitation to the 2014 Pokémon World Championships in Washington, D.C. this August.
For more information about each event and entry details, players can visit the Video Game Pokémon Winter Regional Championships website and the TCG Pokémon Winter Regional Championships website.