The NPD group has confirmed that the game industry generated $2.74 billion in revenue at physical retailers during November in the United States. Sony says the PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console and Microsoft says the Xbox One was the fastest selling console. $1.33 billion worth of consoles and portable devices were sold in November in the US. You can see the best-selling software below, sadly Super Mario 3D World and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds didn’t make the cut. Hopefully we will get sales figures for software and hardware from Nintendo later today.
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Wii U)
- Battlefield 4 (Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, PC, Wii U)
- Madden NFL 25 (Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One)
- Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360, PS3)
- NBA 2K14 (Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
- Skylanders: Swap Force (Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, 3DS, Xbox One, PS4)
- Just Dance 2014 (Wii, 360, Wii U, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
- Disney Infinity (Wii, 360, PS3, Wii U, 3DS)
- FIFA 14 (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita)
Despite earning the coveted award for Worst Company in America, EA has now been named one of the “Best Places to Work 2014” by the Human Rights Campaign. EA has received a 100 percent rating on the 12th Corporate Equality Index, and was praised by its commitment to employing lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender employees. EA is one of 304 businesses to receive a perfect 100 percent rating.
Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime has honored the ‘fantastic launches’ of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Speaking during the VGX award show yesterday, Fils-Aime acknowledged that new hardware is what drives the video game industry, regardless of the manufacturer. The executive went on to say that although the newly released consoles from rivals boast powerful hardware, they need great games in order to survive in the long run.
“This industry loves brand new hardware and anything that’s good for the industry is good for Nintendo, so you know, they’re having a fantastic launch, kudos to them,” Fils-Aime said.
“What people recognize is that having pretty hardware is one thing, but you need games, and right now we’ve got some of the top rated games on our system, and it’s games that you can’t play anywhere else, so yeah, we’re feeling very good about where we are.”
Gamasutra has revealed just how much software was sold in the United Kingdom for dedicated gaming platforms. The Wii U has only managed to shift 650,000 units of software after being on the market for a year. The Xbox One hasn’t fared too badly, as it has already sold 475,000 games in the UK. However, it should be noted that Chart Track have included the Forza 5 and FIFA 14 bundles. You can check out all the formats software sales from Gamasutra in the chart above.
TIME has named their top 10 video games of 2013 and have included three Nintendo titles, along with two additional titles which appear on multiple platforms. Skylanders: Swap Force swooped in at number 10, Pikmin 3 placed at number seven, Animal Crossing: New Leaf at number five, Pokemon X & Y at number three, and Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag rounded it out at number two. What do you think of Nintendo’s showing? Should Super Mario 3D World and A Link Between Worlds have made the list? What is on the list that has no business being there? See below for the full list.
- Grand Theft Auto V
- Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag
- Pokemon X & Y
- Gone Home
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- The Last of Us
- Pikmin 3
- BioShock Infinite
- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
- Skylanders: Swap Force
Nintendo of UK has released another Bravely Default advertisement. Bravely default is an upcoming Japanese RPG being released for the Nintendo 3DS by Square Enix. It releases December 6th in the UK and February 7th in North America.
Nintendo has released a Mario mega bundle in the UK for the Wii U, including the Wii U premium system, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U, a Mario hat, and a Mario Wii Remote Plus for the mere sum of £299.99. The bundle is available exclusively at the online Nintendo UK Store. Do you think something of the sort should be the standard as far as Wii U bundles go worldwide? Would it help drive sales? Let us know in the comments.
Activision’s head of publishing Eric Hirshberg says that the disappointing critical response of the recently released Call of Duty Ghosts hasn’t diminished fan appreciation. Hirshberg shrugged off the mediocre reviews of the title and basically said that if the fans enjoy it, then that’s all that matters.
“Well no, obviously not – and obviously I don’t agree with the critics there. I know that Call of Duty’s a polarising franchise with some of the critics, and it’s clear to me that not all the critics like our strategy of making a game every year, but thankfully our fans do.”
“It’s also clear to me that the critical response doesn’t always mirror the fans’ appreciation of a game. We actually do read the critics’ comments and take them into consideration during our creative process, but we just can’t measure ourselves by that yardstick alone.”
This week’s Media Create sales figures are now in from Japan. The highly regarded Super Mario 3D World slipped from number two to number four in the all-formats charts. Wii U sales saw a slight rise from 21,002 to 28,518, but it’s still performing below Nintendo’s expectations. However, the Nintendo 3DS continues to sell well in Japan. This week it sold 108.373 units. Here’s the Japanese software and hardware charts.
- [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 (Sega, 11/28/13) – 88,708 (New)
- [3DS] Pokemon X and Y (Nintendo, 10/12/13) – 86,391 (3,089,129)
- [PS3] Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix, 11/21/13) – 60,073 (337,155)
- [Wii U] Super Mario 3D World (Nintendo, 11/21/13) – 39,812 (139,400)
- [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends (Tecmo Koei, 11/28/13) – 35,472(New)
- [PS3] Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (Ubisoft, 11/28/13) – 35,348 (New)
- [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 (Konami, 11/14/13) – 25,166 (212,844)
- [3DS] One Piece: Unlimited World R (Namco Bandai, 11/21/13) – 24,623 (108,228)
- [PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Infinite Battle (Namco Bandai, 11/28/13) – 22,833(New)
- [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom, 09/14/13) – 21,969 (2,981,758)
- 3DS LL – 82,409 (63,709)
- Wii U – 28,518 (21,002)
- 3DS – 25,964 (20,797)
- PlayStation Vita – 20,202 (21,044)
- PlayStation 3 – 13,311 (12,436)
- PlayStation Vita TV – 5,391 (7,868)
- PSP – 4,232 (3,546)
- Wii – 588 (457)
- Xbox 360 – 309 (342)
Ubisoft has posted an accolade trailer for their latest installment in the Assassin’s Creed franchise, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag. The game came out on October 29th in North America and on November 22nd in Europe for the Wii U. Previously we posted a video comparing the graphical prowess of the Wii U version compared to all the other versions of the game, including the Playstation 4 and Xbox One versions. Is this a game you would be willing to pick up for the holiday season on the Wii U? Let us know!