Square Enix has released on online survey to gauge fan feedback on the popular Kingdom Hearts franchise. The survey asks what platforms gamers are playing on and which genre’s people prefer. Although Kingdom Hearts 3 isn’t coming to Wii U, it’s worth letting Square Enix know that there are Wii U owners out there that want the game. You can take part in the survey, right here.
Thanks to everyone who sent this in.
Twitch, the world’s leading video platform and community for gamers, today announced it will be the official live streaming partner of Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3). The partnership with the tradeshow’s owner, Entertainment Software Association (ESA), is a three year agreement beginning with E3 2014 that will heighten the global presence for the leading video game event.
E3 2014 takes place on June 10-12 at the Los Angeles Convention Center where Twitch will have a prominent booth in the South Hall. Twitch’s E3 channel will be integrated into all parts of the convention’s presence, including E3 Insider and E3Expo.com. In addition, the Twitch feed will be featured on monitors spread throughout the convention halls, as well as the lounges and press center.
“Live video has changed the video game industry in a fundamental way and transformed how gamers learn, communicate and share their passion for games,” said Jonathan Simpson-Bint, chief revenue officer, Twitch. “Twitch looks forward to deepening consumers’ E3 online experience with top E3 news, original interviews, and behind-the-scenes E3 footage.”
“E3 is the leading computer and video game event in the world. It is known and respected as the launch pad for the latest in video game news,” said Rich Taylor, senior vice president of communications and industry affairs at ESA. “We look forward to partnering with Twitch and extending E3’s worldwide reach to billions of consumers.”
Ubisoft has teased on Facebook that it has a big announcement to share with gamers at 6pm CET today. Clearly speculation is rife regarding what the announcement will be about. A release date and trailer for the highly anticipated Watch Dogs appears to be the best bet. However, it could be the reveal of the next Assassin’s Creed.
Big news tonight – be ready at 18:00 CET!
Update: It looks as though the news has broke early and it’s the release date for the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PC version of Watch Dogs on May 27th. We already know that the Wii U version of the game is delayed.
Japanese gaming publication Famitsu has published its readers most wanted games this week. Interestingly Mario Kart 8 has risen in the charts and is now sitting firmly in second position. However, the number one game this week is Final Fantasy XV for the PlayStation 4. Here’s the most wanted games in Japan this week.
- 01/03. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix, TBA) – 663 votes
- 02/04. [Wii U] Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo, 05/29/14) – 649 votes
- 03/01. [PS3] Persona 5 (Atlus, Winter 2014) – 634 votes
- 04/13. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Konami, TBA) – 429 votes
- 05/02. [PS3] Samurai Warriors 4 (Tecmo Koei, 03/20/14) – 405 votes
- 06/05. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Capcom, Fall 2014) – 395 votes
- 07/06. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts III (Square Enix, TBA) – 382 votes
- 08/07. [3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (Atlus, 06/05/14) – 347 votes
- 09/15. [PS3] Dark Souls II (03/13/14) – 284 votes
- 10/11. [3DS] New Love Plus+ (Konami, 03/27/14) – 270 votes
- 11/12. [3DS] Bravely Second (Square Enix, TBA) – 263 votes
- 12/08. [PS3] Tales of Zestiria (Namco Bandai, TBA) – 257 votes
- 13/09. [PS3] The Evil Within (Bethesda Softworks, 2014) – 253 votes
- 14/10. [PS3] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z Jigoku-Hen (Namco Bandai, 04/10/14) – 252 votes
- 15/18. [PS4] The Evil Within (Bethesda Softworks, 2014) – 239 votes
- 16/14. [Wii U] Hyrule Warriors (Tecmo Koei, 2014) – 225 votes
- 17/30. [3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (Square Enix 04/24/14) – 189 votes
- 18/20.[3DS] Game Center CX 3-Chome no Arino (Namco Bandai, 03/20/14) – 184 votes
- 19/21. [Wii U] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Nintendo, 2014) – 183 votes
- 20/16. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo, 2014) – 178 votes
- 21/24. [PS4] Watch Dogs (Ubisoft, 2014) – 177 votes
- 22/19. [PS3] The Last Remnant (Square Enix, movedtomobile) – 170 votes
- 23/22. [PSV] Freedom Wars (SCEJ, Summer 2014) – 146 votes
- 24/—. [PSV] Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd (Sega, 03/27/14) – 135 votes
- 25/17. [3DS] Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson (Marvelous AQL, 08/07/14) – 125 votes
- 26/— [PS3] The Last Guardian (SCEJ, TBA) – 124 votes
- 27/29. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Konami, TBA) – 117 votes
- 28/—. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Konami, TBA) – 103 votes
- 29/28. [PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z Jigoku-Hen (Namco Bandai, 04/10/14) – 99 votes
- 30/—. [PS3] The Idolmaster: One For All (Namco Bandai, 05/15/14) – 98 votes
Thanks, Simply G
Ubisoft has filed two trademarks for Catz and Dogz, according to a stealthy spot by NeoGaf members. The trademark was filed on February 27 and signed by Ubisoft’s Yves Guillemot, but what it exactly pertains to, and which game platforms it may arrive on, is currently unknown.
Back in the mid-90s, Catz and Dogz was released for the PC, and has amassed a number of sequels over the years. Consoles soon started to draw from the craze and Petz: Catz 2 and Dogz 2 was released for the Wii in 2007. The most recent Catz and Dogz game, however, was released in 2008, with Petz Fantasy 3D branching out of the cats and dogs category for the 3DS in 2011. Whether Ubisoft’s next venture with the franchise will hit Nintendo consoles in the future, or if it will remain on the PC, is still shrouded in mystery.
This week’s UK charts are now in courtesy of GFK chart-track. But it’s a considerable slip for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze as DK and his chums fall 17 places down the individual chart, landing at position 21. We reviewed the platform game last week, giving it a 9 out of 10 and remarked on its master class quality. Back in chart land, it’s an unsurprising victory for Thief, which grabs both the top spot and second place on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
Meanwhile in 3DS territory, The LEGO Movie Videogame falls to 26 from 14 last week, and Pokemon X and Y are separated by Rayman Legends at the bottom of the board. Of notable merit in the all-formats chart is Senran Kagura Burst, which managed to sneak in to the top 40 at number 38. You can find the top 40 individual chart in full, below.
- (NE) [PS4] Thief
- (NE) [XB ONE] Thief
- (01) [XB360] The LEGO Movie Videogame
- (NE) [XB ONE] Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
- (NE) [XB360] Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
- (NE) [XB360] Thief
- (02) [XB360] Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
- (05) [XB360] FIFA 14
- (10) [XB ONE] FIFA 14
- (03) [PS3 ]The LEGO Movie Videogame
- (NE) [PS3] Thief
- (06) [XB360] Call Of Duty: Ghosts
- (11) [PS3] FIFA 14
- (NE) [PS3] Tales Of Symphonia: Chronicles
- (NE) [PS3] Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow 2
- (09) [XB360] LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
- (07) [PS4] FIFA 14
- (08) [XB360] Grand Theft Auto V
- (16) [XB360] Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag
- (17) [PS3] Gran Turismo 6
- (04) [WII U] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- (15) [XB360] Battlefield 4
- (12) [PS3] Call Of Duty: Ghosts
- (13) [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V
- (NE) [XB360] Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow 2
- (14) [3DS] The LEGO Movie Videogame
- (34) [XB ONE] Forza Motorsport 5
- (19) [PS4] Battlefield 4
- (29) [XB ONE] Battlefield 4
- (21) [PS4] Rayman Legends
- (28) [PS3] Battlefield 4
- (30) [PS3] Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag
- (39) [PC] Football Manager 2014
- (35) [XB ONE] Call Of Duty: Ghosts
- (38) [3DS] Pokemon Y
- (RE) [XB ONE] Rayman Legends
- (36) [3DS] Pokemon X
- (22) [PS4] Call Of Duty: Ghosts
- (24) [PS4] Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
- (31) [XB360] WWE 2K14
Nintendo 3DS software in the United Kingdom sold over 50,000 units in January 2014, which is an increase of 47 percent from January 2013. Wii U has also faired well with software sales growing 91 percent, to 65,000 units. Unsurprisingly it’s the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 shifting the most amount of software sales out of the four platforms mentioned, adding nearly half a million software units to the market. Software sales for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 have declined along with the Wii and the Nintendo DS.
A GameSpot blogger has stated that GameStop has just received Batman promotional merchandise which is due to go on display in stores in March. This has lead some online to believe that Rocksteady is preparing to reveal their next entry in the acclaimed Batman series.
This week’s Media Create sales figures are now in from Japan. The PlayStation 4 got off to a good start shifting 309,154 units, easily placing it at number one. The Wii U remained steady selling 8,407 units, though Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze slipped to twelfth. Nintendo 3DS sales continued to drop with the handheld selling 32,151 units. Knack was the best-selling game this week.
Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
- [PS3] Knack (First Limited Pack included) (SCE, 02/22/14) – 309,304 (New)
- [PS3] Yakuza: Ishin (Sega, 02/22/14) – 138,158 (New)
- [PS4] Yakuza: Ishin (Sega, 02/22/14) – 82,540 (New)
- [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca’s Wonderful Mysterious Keys (Square Enix, 02/06/14) – 72,350 (634,433)
- [3DS] Kuroko no Basuke: Shouri e no Kiseki (Namco Bandai, 02/20/14) – 45,681 (New)
- [3DS] Yokai Watch (Level-5, 07/11/13) – 35,125 (458,961)
- [PS4] Killzone: Shadow Fall (SCE, 02/22/14) – 32,336 (New)
- [PS4] Battlefield 4 (EA, 02/22/14) – 24,799 (New)
- [3DS] Kirby: Triple Deluxe (Nintendo, 01/09/14) – 17,665 (457,796)
- [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z (GungHo Online Entertainment, 12/12/31) – 15,092 (1,374,333)
- [PS4] Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends (Tecmo Koei, 02/22/14) – 14,356 (New)
- [Wii U] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Nintendo, 02/13/14) – 14,330 (50,047)
- [PS4] Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (Ubisoft, 02/22/14) – 13,862 (New)
- [PS4] Call of Duty: Ghosts (Square Enix, 02/22/14) – 13,701 (New)
- [PS4] Tomb Raider (Square Enix, 02/22/14) – 12,093 (Strong)
- [3DS] Pokemon X and Y (Nintendo, 10/12/133) – 11,302 (3,961,624)
- [3DS] Puyopuyo Tetris (Sega, 02/06/13) – 8,859 (67,204)
- [PS4] FIFA 14 (EA, 02/22/14) – 8,808 (New)
- [PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme VS. Full Boost (Namco Bandai, 01/30/14) – 7,763 (321,054)
- [PS4] Need for Speed: Rivals (EA, 02/22/14) – 6,602 (New)
Hardware Sales (followed by last week’s sales)
- PlayStation 4 – 309,154 (N/A)
- 3DS LL – 22,253 (27,650)
- PlayStation Vita – 16,857 (17,081)
- PlayStation 3 -9,983 (10,226)
- 3DS – 9,898 (12,066)
- Wii U – 8,407 (8,782)
- PSP – 3,171 (2,944)
- PlayStation Vita TV – 1,383 (1,267)
- Xbox 360 – 241 (256)
Tokyo-based games consultant Serkan Toto thinks that Sony’s PlayStation 4 will enable the company to capture some of the marketshare that Nintendo has so far failed to capture with its Wii U console. However, he doesn’t think that it’s likely that Sony will be able to get those casual consumers that purchased a Wii back in 2006 as he believes they have flocked to mobile and tablet based gaming.
“Calling it a “dream situation” for Sony, Tokyo-based games consultant Serkan Toto believes that the company will dominate the Japanese market this generation. But it’s unlikely that Sony will be able to convince all of the customers that sent Nintendo to the top with the Wii yet failed to return for the Wii U. The Wii’s stratospheric sales were largely because of casual games and non-traditional software that appealed to the same demographic most likely to have switched to mobile devices.”
“As such, Toto says, it “isn’t unrealistic” to imagine that the overall console market will shrink in size, even if the PS4 outsells the PS3. Still, there’s an opportunity for Sony to make up some ground. “I think that Sony will be able to capture some of the market that Nintendo isn’t able to serve with the Wii U, but it will certainly be not all of it,” says Toto. “But Nintendo is making it as easy for Sony as ever to capture some market share.”