Good news for Nintendo today as it has emerged that the Wii U has outsold both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in Japan with regards to lifetime sales. Obviously the Wii U has been out longer than both systems, but it maintains a relatively decent lead. Wii U sold over 3.0 million units, Sony’s PlayStation 4 has sold 2.26 units and Microsoft’s Xbox One has only sold 64,543 units. Wii U has an impressive 57 percent of the Japanese market share while the Playstation 4 has 42 percent and the Xbox One trails behind with a pitiful 1 percent.
- Wii U Total Sales: 3,020,227
- PS4 Total Sales: 2,261,079
- Xbox One Total Sales: 64,543
Source / Via
Sales figures have come in from Germany recently which is one of the largest video game markets in Europe. It would seem as the PlayStation 4 is the console of choice amongst German consumers, but interestingly it’s the Wii U that’s in second position. While the console has been out for longer than the Xbox One it seems as though Germany aren’t too impressed with Microsoft’s latest console. Here’s the latest life to date hardware figures.
- [PS4] 2,800,000 (68%)
- [WIU] 690,000 (17%)
- [XB1] 600,000 (15%)
Idealo which is the biggest price comparison website in Germany has looked at the demand for the current generation of consoles in the country. It seems as though the PlayStation 4 is the most wanted console by consumers in Germany, but what is interesting is that the Wii U seems to be next and neck with the Xbox One. However, as you can see from the chart, demand for both consoles pales in comparison to the PlayStation brand.
Source / Via
Good news for would be gamers in China as The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the ban placed on video game consoles in the country has been completely lifted. You may remember that the ban was temporarily lifted by the government in January, but the only way console manufacturers could sell consoles was with government approval. Let’s hope Nintendo gets its foot in the door.
Source / Via
This week’s Japanese charts are now in courtesy of Media Create and there’s a few notable new entries this week. Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad and Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken have entered in the charts at number one and number two respectively. However, they haven’t really boosted Nintendo 3DS sales as you might have thought they would. Still, the Nintendo 3DS is the best-selling platform shifting 28K and Wii U shifted 10K. Here’s the best-selling games this week.
- [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad (Nintendo, 07/11/15) – 693,538 (New)
- [3DS] The Great Ace Attorney (Capcom, 07/09/15) – 135,690 (New)
- [PSV] Taiko Drum Master: V Version (Bandai Namco, 07/09/15) – 46,101 (New)
- [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright / Conquest (Nintendo, 06/25/15) – 29,682 (345,253)
- [Wii U] Splatoon (Nintendo, 05/28/15) – 26,136 (408,312)
- [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ (Nintendo, 06/11/15) – 24,650 (325,844)
- [3DS] Chou Tousouchuu Atsumare! Saikyou no Tousou Monotachi (Bandai Namco, 07/09/15) – 13,571 (New)
- [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (SCE, 03/19/15) – 10,898 (243,428)
- [Wii U] Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo, 05/29/14) – 6,708 (1,060,442)
- [3DS] Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden (Bandai Namco, 06/11/15) – 4,642 (110,087)
- [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire (Pokemon, 11/21/14) – 4,608 (2,657,661)
- [PSV] Persona 4: Dancing All Night (Atlus, 06/25/15) – 4,449 (111,513)
- [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo, 11/08/12) – 4,232 (3,996,960)
- [3DS] Girls Mode 3: Kira Kira Code (Nintendo, 04/16/15) – 2,891 (164,436)
- [PS4] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Spike Chunsoft, 05/21/15) – 2,847 (128,414)
- [PS4] Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Capcom, 06/18/15) – 2,772 (50,017)
- [3DS] Return to PopoloCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale (Marvelous, 06/18/15) – 2,757 (63,524)
- [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo, 09/13/14) – 2,746 (2,256,326)
- [Wii U] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Nintendo, 12/06/14) – 2,218 (653,783)
- [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition (GungHo Online Entertainment, 04/30/15) – 1,901 (274,678)
Hardware Sales (followed by last week’s sales)
- New 3DS LL – 21,069 (19,475)
- PlayStation 4 – 15,779 (18,171)
- PlayStation Vita – 13,632 (14,067)
- Wii U – 10,789 (12,781)
- New 3DS – 5,551 (5,506)
- PlayStation 3 – 2,979 (3,102)
- 3DS – 1,184 (1,394)
- 3DS LL – 899 (861)
- PlayStation Vita TV – 613 (741)
- Xbox One – 149 (235)
A recent survey conducted by Nielsen takes a look at the reasoning behind peoples buying habits for the current generation of consoles. Those studied say that they purchased the PlayStation 4 for the higher resolution of games, while those who purchased an Xbox One bought it because they love the Xbox brand. Interestingly those who purchased a Wii U did it purely because of the fun-factor of the console as well as the fact that it’s a more suitable console for younger gamers. You can check out the reasonings in the chart above.
Thanks to everyone who sent this in.
Looks like Square Enix is still investing in console titles as the publisher and developer has revealed that they have a brand new RPG title in the works for consoles that isn’t a remake. Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda announced in the latest issue of Famitsu that the game will be revealed next month in December. The company also has Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 in development so it will be interesting to see which platforms it will be for. Here’s what Matsuda had to say about the mysterious title.
“Actually, right now, we’re working on a new RPG specifically for consoles and it isn’t a remake. We’ll start talking about it more in December and go from there.”