Legendary development studio Mistwalker has teased new concept art presumably for a new game that has yet to be announced by the company. The image look similar to The Last Story with regards to the colours and theme. The company posted the image on both its Facebook page and official site. Hopefully we will get some kind of announcement sometime soon.
Nintendo published developer Mistwalker’s Wii exclusive, The Last Story, in Japan and Europe. But in North America, Xseed Games is the action role-playing game’s publisher, which makes it a third-party game for the six-year-old Wii.
Xseed Games has announced that The Last Story is its most successful title to date. To celebrate, the publisher is selling The Last Story as a standalone game package for a suggested retail price of $29.99 in select retailers across North America.
XSEED Games, an independent-minded publisher, is pleased to celebrate the success of its hit action RPG, The Last Story, by announcing that it is releasing an all-new standalone version of the Wii™ exclusive, which started shipping today to select retailers throughout North America at an MSRP of $29.99. In addition to this new standalone game package, any remaining copies of the premium launch units at retailers, which included a bonus 44-page softcover art book packaged together with the game in a custom outer box, are now available for $39.99.
“The Last Story has been an amazing title for XSEED Games and it has become our most successful title to date. This is a must have title for RPG fans, and we’re looking forward to more players discovering the magic that lies in Lazulis Island.”
-Ken Berry, Executive Vice President at XSEED Games.
Final Fantasy’s creator, Hironobu Sakaguchi, was recently interviewed by IGN. He shared his thoughts and experience about making The Last Story, which is his latest video game for the Wii. Sakaguchi shared many interesting details including information about the game’s unique battle system, and what his greatest challenges were while creating the game.
When talking about the technical capabilities of the Wii Sakaguchi says, “It’s unfortunate, but the final issue that always seemed to deny certain ideas was the SD resolution limitation.” Despite the graphical restrictions of the console, Sakaguchi believes that people will enjoy the game’s refined world. The Last Story is scheduled to release in North America on July 10th.
Mistwalker, the famed development studio behind The Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon and more recently The Last Story, has revealed to Siliconera that the team is working on several projects. We already know that Mistwalker has three projects in the works for iOS, but let’s hope some of these ‘other projects’ involve either the Wii U or Nintendo 3DS.
“We are working on several projects. We appreciate your interest.”
Nintendo has released another trailer for Mistwalkers upcoming JRPG The Last Story for Wii. The trailer shows off a wealth of in-game footage, including a variety of battles, plus it also showcases the British voice acting that can be found in the game. The Last Story is due out in Europe on February 24th.
The Last Story director Hironobu Sakaguchi and character designer, Kimihiko Fujisaka have participated in the latest Iwata Asks segment to talk about their forthcoming JRPG for the Wii. Here’s a few interesting details regarding the game’s early development process:
- Monolith Soft had to learn Nintendo’s way of developing games
- That means starting by developing a fleshed-out prototype instead of a fully-established story
- With Mistwalker, Nintendo initially didn’t approve of The Last Story’s scenario
- The original world the game had was too bleak
- Changing to a more fantasy-style setting helped enhance the characters as well
- “It’s actually easier to bring out realistic human dimensions in a fantasy setting.” – Sakaguchi
- Lazulis City was based on the idea to create a location that players would be able to familiarize themselves with
- The town is also made so that subtle differences and changes stand out
- “Early on one of the passers-by will barge into you with their shoulder and say: ‘Hey! What are you doing?’ But then when the hero has become a little more established, they’ll say: ‘Oh, I’m terribly sorry!’ That’s a really nice feeling.” – Sakaguchi
- The game was originally about the drama between a man and a woman
- It changed to being a story about companionship
- The story didn’t change, but the underlying themes did
I’ve just remembered that I forgot to post the most recent trailer for the forthcoming The Last Story which is due for release in Europe on February 24th. Nintendo of America has yet to announce whether or not the game is coming Stateside, but given their decision to release Xenoblade Chronicles in April, I’d say it’s quite likely. European gamers will be able to purchase a limited edition version of The Last Story or a standard edition.