A UK red-top tabloid has named the Nintendo 3DS as the best console in video-gaming history. The Sun’s columnist Derek Brown has given the grand old thumbs up to Nintendo’s handheld, and he’s stuck his neck out by saying it’s not just his favourite handheld console, it’s his ’favourite console full stop’.
Considering The Sun’s aversion to the console two years ago, this is a bold statement. In 2011, the tabloid printed a number of stories reporting that the console was making ‘gamers feel dizzy and sick’, and in a follow-up report by games journalist Lee Price, he concluded that children should stop playing and pack it away after two hours.
In his report, Derek Brown says that although the hardware was seen as a ‘gimmicky cash-in’ within its first year, it has now emerged as an ‘essential’ piece of gaming hardware, which lies within the eShop:
“It’s in the eShop — the 3DS equivalent of the Apple App Store — that the machine is making its biggest strides. Full-price titles such as Fire Emblem (my 2013 game of the year), Luigi’s Mansion (excellent) and Monster Hunter sit beside brilliant budget games like Fallblox (best game ever for a fiver), Mario Minis On The Move, VVVVVV and HarmoKnight — starting at a fiver.
“None of the games are of the throwaway 69p variety on your phone. They’re proper pieces of software worthy of your attention.”
Though Brown is quick to own a sudden change of heart for the 3DS, he also takes the opportunity to slam the Wii U. He adds:
“So here’s the bad news for Nintendo — I am the only person I know who has a Wii U. Even the most ardent Nintendo fan would have to confess that it’s been a pretty duff six months since the launch [...] Whatever the reason for its lack of sales, it’s a big problem for Nintendo.”
Do you believe the Nintendo 3DS is the best console ever? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
You didn’t think Capcom could get any bolder and bloodier after last year’s human butchery for the Resident Evil 6 launch, did you? Although this may burst your bubble, Capcom has traversed the dark path once again to deliver you a blood-soaked day by presenting fans with the first blood filled swimming pool.
The pool is 16ft by 32ft large and over one metre in depth, taking in around 55,000 gallons of water, and as MCV reports, is equivalent to the blood of 11,327 people. The pool will be filled with a series of Resident Evil treats for fans brave enough to swim into the deepest parts, which they are able to keep. And if you didn’t think the ‘blood’ water – made with non-staining coloured dye - was enough, you’ll find human torso floats, rows of brains and intestines representing lane markers and even zombie lifeguards to keep a steady eye out.
The event, which is scheduled to take place on May 25 and 26 in London’s Jupiter Wharf, is to mark the release of Resident Evil Revelations on May 24 for Wii U, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC – plus, it’s also entirely free to the public. However, there are only 100 tickets on offer, so make sure you grab yours here on May 20, when tickets go on sale to the general public. The pool is only open to those aged 16 and above, with under 18′s to be accompanied by an adult.
In support of the event, Capcom’s UK PR Manager Adam Merrett, said:
“Capcom are thrilled to able to create the world’s first blood swimming pool. Zombies have been kept very busy lately doing a variety of PR stunts, so rather than do the expected, we wanted to give them some time off for canal side relaxation in London.
“To non-zombies, the swimming pool will be shocking, gory and an incredibly disturbing experience – the perfect way to show that survival horror is back with a bang for Resident Evil Revelations.”
There’s some new Pokémon information brewing overseas and it’s expected next week. Game Freak Director Junichi Masuda is due to appear on the popular Japanese variety show, Pokémon Smash, on May 19 to reveal more news about the highly anticipated Pokémon X and Y on the Nintendo 3DS.
However, it’s likely that the announcement may come sooner than expected – much to the joy of Pokémon fans – and may be revealed in the next edition of CoroCoro magazine, which is due out next Wednesday. Could it be the new fairy type that’s been fluttering around the rumour mill, more in-depth news on the new Mewtwo-like Pokémon, or something completely different? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
UK retailer GAME has planned to open up 18 new stores across the UK by the end of July – only a year since their troubled finances forced them to close 227 stores. The news comes after the company paid its backing investment firm OpCapita £3.2 miliion in interest from its first four months under the new ownership.
According to The Telegraph, though, GAME still owes £103 million to OpCapita, but are paying it back above the base rate at 7.5 per cent. If sales continue to go soundly for GAME, they should be able to pay off the whole sum by April 2017. GAME, which has over 300 stores across the UK, said their outlook was ‘positive’ for the future.
The first Guild02 title is set for release later this month after they were announced to be ‘coming soon’ in a recent Nintendo Direct. The Starship Damrey – an action adventure title which sees the player deposited in space to fend for survival based on exploration and instincts - will be available in the North American Nintendo 3DS eShop on May 16. Presumably, the European launch will be following in the footsteps of America and a set date won’t be too far behind.
It looks like the Okami announcement teased to fans last week is not for an upcoming sequel. According to a tweet by the official Okami account, it was explicitly stated that it will not be a sequel. The announcement, though, is still set to be published this week.
Capcom Corporate Officer and Senior Vice President Christian Svensson responded to the sequel chatter on the Capcom Unity boards saying that the announcement is to be for Japan only:
Whatever it is, it’s likely only in Japan… I’ve got no details on what they were referring to (but as has been stated, whatever it is, it’s not a game).
IGN revealed a tantalising teaser trailer of the spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem earlier today, in order to kickstart a crowdfunding campaign. Details of the survival horror game, named ‘Shadow of the Eternals’ will be released next Monday, May 6, when the campaign begins.
Silcon Knights originally released Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem on the GameCube in 2002 and went onto considerable success – it even received one of the IGN Editor’s Choice Awards. Denis Dyack is reportedly involved within the game, but by all accounts, the project is in development by Precursor Games. So far, no platforms have been announced but, either way, we won’t have to wait long for the rest of the details to be spilled.
Yesterday, we reported that internet meme creators Torres and Schmidt were filing a lawsuit against Scribblenauts developers 5th Cell and publishers Warner Bros. over copyright infringement within the Scribblenauts series.
Now, Torres has issued a statement to Eurogamer claiming that the lawsuit had been misreported and is determined to set the record straight. He claims that he was unaware about the use of the meme in Scribblenauts until it appeared in the debut trailer for its latest instalment – Nyan Cat was copyrighted in 2011, while Scribblenauts Unlimited was released in 2012.
The statement reads:
“We reached out to the companies in hopes of working out an amicable resolution of the issue, yet were disrespected and snubbed each time as nothing more than nuisances for asking for fair compensation for our intellectual property. That’s not right. I have no issues with Nyan Cat being enjoyed by millions of fans as a meme , and I have never tried to prevent people from making creative uses of it that contribute artistically and are not for profit. But this is a commercial use, and these companies themselves are protectors of their own intellectual property. Many other companies have licensed Nyan Cat properly to use commercially.
“In Scribblenauts Unlimited, you have to actually type out the words ‘Nyan Cat’ and ‘Keyboard Cat’ to get our characters to appear in the game. In fact, the game forbids you from making any copyright references in their games with a pop-up error. Meanwhile, 5th Cell recently negotiated proper rights for several Nintendo characters for their games. Just because popularity with millions of fans has caused Nyan Cat and Keyboard Cat to become famous by virtue of their viral or meme nature, doesn’t give these companies a right to take our work for free in order to make profits for themselves, especially considering too that they would be the first to file lawsuits against people who misappropriate their copyrights and trademarks. It just isnt fair.
“I’ve been working alongside with the creator of the music and the lady who uploaded it to YouTube since the start. There are many reputable companies that have respected our rights and negotiated fees to use our characters commercially. Warner Bros. and 5th Cell should have done the same.
“Since Warner Bros. and 5th Cell chose to act as if we had no rights in characters we created, filing a lawsuit was the only way we had to protect our intellectual property rights from being used for others’ commercial profit without our consent. Too often normal artists like us don’t have the means and resources to protect our rights against big media corporations who use our work for their own profit without permission. We are looking here just to be treated fairly and to be fairly compensated for our creative work.”
Remember that movie from the early 90s starring Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper that vaguely followed the story of Super Mario? Well, it’s getting a 20th anniversary screening in LA at the end of this month.
The Super Mario Bros. Movie was a financial disaster but over the years it’s blossomed into a wonderful cult film enjoyed by fans across the globe. On May 24, a screening will be held at midnight in the NuArt Theatre, Los Angeles.
The time has come! As the 20th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. draws near, we are pleased to announce a special screening that will be held at the NuArt Theatre in Los Angeles, CA on Friday, May 24th at midnight!
Screenwriter Parker Bennett and production designer David L. Snyder will be sitting on a Q & A panel, answering questions from fans.
We will also have a few other anniversary surprises, so be sure to join us in the festivities!
- The Super Mario Bros. official Facebook page
Copyright is always a pesky problem when it comes to designing characters in the video games industry. Most recently a female Yoshi look-a-like was spotted in an indie game released for the iOS, but fortunately Nintendo worked outside of the courtroom. Scribblenauts developer 5th Cell hasn’t been so lucky. The company is being sued, alongside publishers Warner Bros., over copyright infringement from the use of internet memes Keyboard Cat and Nyan Cat within their Scribblenauts series.
Keyboard Cat creator Charles Schmidt, who found success on YouTube, and Christopher Orlando Torres who developed the Nyan Cat animated gif are both suing on copyright grounds, and allegedly claim that their creations were used without license or authority. 5th Cell and Warner Bros. featured the animated versions of the two aforementioned cats which were included as Easter eggs in the 2009 Scribblenauts release, Super Scribblenauts in 2010, Scribblenauts Remix, and the most recent title Scribblenauts Unlimited.
“For the past three years, WB, along with game developer 5th, have knowingly and intentionally infringed plaintiffs’ copyrights and trademarks by using ‘Nyan Cat’ and Fatso’s image in WB’s top selling ‘Scribblenauts’ games. Including, most recently, ‘Scribblenauts Unlimited’, which WB released in 2011.”
- Complaint from the legal paperwork of Schmidt and Torres V Warner Bros and 5th Cell Media
Warner Bros. and 5th Cell are yet to make an official statement.