We already know that smartphones are now immensely popular in Japan, but what we didn’t know was the extent. It’s been revealed today in the 2014 CESA Games White Paper that the Japanese smartphone gaming market has now hit 5.1 billion, which is more than dedicated hardware sales and software sales combined.
Japan’s mobile gaming market in 2013 was, at US$5.1 billion, bigger than the one for console (hardware and software combined) at US$4 billion.
A whole new world awaits players in Disney Magical World, launching across Europe on 24th October for Nintendo 3DS and 2DS systems. After creating a personalised avatar and a customised dream life, players embark on a 3D fantasy adventure featuring more than 60 iconic Disney characters across a main central plaza and its surrounding worlds inspired by Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella,Aladdin and more. It’s all Disney, all the time as players interact with beloved characters, manage a café to earn in-game coins, set off on ghost-hunting quests and even visit friends’ towns via Local Play.
Endless opportunities for creativity and customisation allow the imagination to run wild in Disney Magical World. With more than 1,000 items, players can hone their design skills to create hundreds of personalised Disney-themed outfits, accessories and furniture. Aspiring restaurateurs can design a café from its décor to its menu. As they foster its success through careful management, players can earn valuable in-game coins and even pique the interest of favourite Disney characters to stop by for a meal. The personal “My Room” retreat above the café offers another customisable opportunity with even more items and furniture.
For players looking for a dose of adventure, Disney Magical World features many exciting quests and unique collectibles. By collecting and using magic wands with different skill sets, players can battle through ghost-filled forests and dungeons. Players also can help various Disney characters retrieve missing hard-to-find items on these action-filled excursions. With Disney Magical World players can connect with friends and showcase their creativity to one another. By connecting a Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo 2DS system via Local Play, they can check out the towns and cafés of friends and even exchange cherished items.
Adding to the adventure, a full world based on Pirates of the Caribbean can be purchased as add-on content from November 2014, where there will be new quests and characters, including Captain Jack Sparrow. Meanwhile from launch, look out for a number of unique free items, including new costumes, recipes and café items, which will become available via Nintendo Zone hotspots across Europe. From launch you will also be able to take advantage of the Augmented Reality capabilities of the Nintendo 3DS and 2DS systems, with the distribution of Disney Magical World-specific AR cards. More details on these AR cards, and how you can get them will follow closer to the game’s release. The fun-filled adventure begins on 24th October 2014 when Disney Magical World launches across Europe for Nintendo 3DS and 2DS systems.
Atlus has finally announced that the acclaimed Shin Megami Tensei IV will be coming to Europe in September. The game will be a digital download and will come with all the downloadable content, except the North American exclusive pre-order bonus armour. Shin Megami Tensei IV will retail on the eShop for €19.99/£17.99.
Development studio Nicalis originally envisioned The Binding of Isaac as a Nintendo 3DS title, but the controversial game wasn’t permitted by Nintendo who said that it had questionable religious content. Fast forward to today and the development studio has written a lengthy blog post explaining that the team really wanted the game on the Nintendo 3DS. Inside the article is three hyper linked characters to a five second video. The video is titled “Gex Remake,” and has a 3D filter on it. The three characters linked are “3″ “D” and “S.”
Super Smash Bros designer Masahiro Sakurai has revealed the final design for the bottom screen on the Nintendo 3DS version of Super Smash Bros. Sakurai says it took a long while to create because the bottom screen now displays images matching each game mode.
Pic of the day. For the first time ever, I present to you…the main menu for the 3DS version!! The icons are even animated. The design concept may look similar if you’ve played other games I’ve worked on. But we had a hard time making this one because…
The bottom screen displays pictures matching each mode! This was quite a task for the UI (User Interface) designers, but they made it happen. Kudos to them! You can tap the screen to look up additional info like how to play–complete with diagrams.
Thanks, Jayden and Dekuplushdoll
Nintendo has released another system update for Nintendo 3DS. According to the company’s website, the new update adds further improvements to overall system stability. It also implements other minor adjustments to enhance the user experience. The handheld received another minor system update earlier this month.
Square Enix has confirmed in Japanese publication Jump that Agnes Oblige will be making a triumphant return in Bravely Second. At the moment all we have is the scan, but we should hear some official information from Square Enix themselves sometime next week.
This week’s Japanese charts are now in courtesy of Media Create. Yokai Watch 2 for the Nintendo 3DS remains the best-selling video game by a long shot. Nintendo 3DS sales dropped after last week but remains decent at 37.377. Wii U sales remain steady at 8.209. You can see the Japanese software and hardware charts, below.
- [3DS] Yokai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke (Level-5, 07/10/14) – 331,946 (1,648,653)
- [PSV] Oreshika: Tainted Bloodblines (SCEJ, 07/17/14) – 93,775 (New)
- [PS3] Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (Gust, 07/17/14) – 43,744 (New)
- [3DS] Gundam Try Age SP (Bandai Namco, 07/17/14) – 21,524 (New)
- [Wii U] Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo, 05/29/14) – 14,992 (542,358)
- [3DS] Yokai Watch (Level-5, 07/11/13) – 12,790 (1,208,077)
- [PSV] Freedom Wars (SCEJ, 06/26/14) – 9,761 (262,427)
- [3DS] Taiko Drum Master: Don and Katsu’s Space-Time Great Adventure (Bandai Namco, 06/26/14) – 9,258 (101,478)
- [3DS] Pokemon Art Academy (Nintendo, 06/19/14) – 5,714 (69,636)
- [PS3] Watch Dogs (Ubisoft, 06/26/14) – 5,628 (59,585)
- [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V Low Price Version (06/26/14) – 5,090 (23,659)
- [3DS] Pokemon X / Y (Pokemon, 10/12/13) – 4,925 (4,106,912)
- [PS4] Murdered: Soul Suspect (Square Enix, 07/17/14) – 4,467 (New)
- [PS4] FIFA 14 (EA, 02/22/14) – 4,094 (67,541)
- [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom, 09/14/13) – 3,905 (3,311,605)
- [PS4] Watch Dogs (Ubisoft, 06/26/14) – 3,455 (85,832)
- [3DS] Happe-chan Minna de Odekake! Wakuwaku Hoppe Land!! (Nihon Colombia, 07/17/14) – 3,433 (New)
- [3DS] Pro Evolution Soccer 2014: Aoki Samurai no Chousen (Konami, 05/22/14) – 2,996 (70,108)
- [PSV] Persona 4 Golden (Atlus, 06/14/12) – 2,929 (304,785)
- [Wii U] Wii Sports Club (Nintendo, 07/17/14) – 2,898 (New)
Hardware Sales (followed by last week’s sales)
- 3DS LL – 31,192 (55,531)
- PlayStation Vita – 27,352 (38,907)
- Wii U – 8,209 (8,658)
- PlayStation 3 – 7,389 (7,763)
- PlayStation 4 – 6,456 (7,150)
- 3DS – 6,185 (6,425)
- PlayStation Vita TV – 2,249 (1,803)
- PSP – 556 (779)
- Xbox 360 – 129 (140)
Peripheral manufacturer Hori has revealed a new slide pad for the Nintendo 3DS to coincide with the release of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. The new accessory changes the button placement on the Nintendo 3DS. There’s now a slide pad where the left shoulder button is and ZL underneath the grip on the left hand side. You can also see that by having the new slide pad on the left shoulder it allows you to adjust the camera and move only using your left hand.
Thanks, Barry D
Today, Ubisoft announced that the evolution of the world’s most loved puzzle game will be available for Nintendo 3DS this fall. In addition to delivering six exciting modes, Tetris Ultimate for Nintendo 3DS also includes an exclusive single-player Challenge mode that will put any player’s determination to the test.
With fun features and unique visuals, Tetris Ultimate for Nintendo 3DS allows 1–4 players to face off in seven different game modes:
• Marathon – Complete level 15 and rack up as many points as you can.
• Endless – Keep clearing lines until your stamina runs out.
• Ultra – Race to score as many points possible before time runs out in this three-minute challenge.
• Sprint – Clear 40 lines as quickly as you can.
• Battle – Go head-to-head to knock out 1-4 challengers.
• Battle Ultimate – Be the last person playing after using crazy power-ups. Go on the offensive with Carousel and make your opponent’s Well shift to the left after each move, or trigger Let it Rain and dump garbage down on top of them. Buzz Saw helps you out by clearing away a number of your lines, especially useful when you’re in a spot of trouble.
• Challenge – From disappearing Tetriminos (Tetris playing pieces) to orientation-locked Tetriminos, be prepared for a variety of challenges that will test a player’s fortitude.
Real-time worldwide leaderboards add to the fervor and competition among friends to see who the best-of-the-best Tetris Ultimate players really are.
Tetris Ultimate will also be available for digital download this summer for the first time on Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system, and this fall on PlayStation Vita handheld entertainment system and Windows PC.
Thanks, Simply G