It has been confirmed that the Nintendo 3DS exclusive 4 mode which includes, labyrinth-exploring, boost-collecting battle game in Super Smash Bros 3DS won’t feature online play. The news came from a tweet from Super Smash Bros producer Masahiro Sakurai via Twitter.
We already found out today the entire roster for Super Smash Bros on the Nintendo 3DS, but a report from a user of NeoGAF claims he has a solid source who says that there will be additional characters in the Wii U version. Interestingly these extra characters are unlocked by linking the Nintendo 3DS version to the Wii U version. The additional characters apparently include Dixie, Ridley, Chorus Men and Mewtwo. It’s worth noting this is a rumour for now.
As you probably heard earlier a number of Japanese gamers have managed to acquire early copies of Super Smash Bros and have been streaming them on Twitch. Thanks to these individuals we now know the final cast of the Nintendo 3DS version. More characters may be added in the future via DLC, but here’s the full retail roster.
- Rosalina & Luma
- Bowser Jr.
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Donkey Kong
- Diddy Kong
- Toon Link
- Zero Suit Samus
- King Dedede
- Meta Knight
- Little Mac
- Duck Hunt Dog
- Captain Falcon
- Wii Fit Trainer
- Dr. Mario
- Dark Pit
- Mega Man
- Mii Fighter
Nintendo of America has announced which games you’ll be able to download this week from the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U eShop. One of the biggest releases this week is Teslagrad for the Wii U. The game is a 2D puzzle based platformer that you can see in the video above.
- NintendoeShop on Wii U
- Teslagrad – Put your sense of logic to the test and cleverly manipulate the world around you using electricity and magnetism. Teslagrad is a 2D puzzle-platformer with more than 100 beautifully hand-drawn environments to explore as you journey into (and beyond) Tesla Tower. Take up the mantle of the Teslamancer in your quest to reveal a great injustice and overthrow a tyrant. Click here to watch a trailer for the game.
- Virtual Console on Wii U
- Adventure Island – The evil Witch Doctor has kidnapped Tina, the true love of Master Higgins. To save her, you must safely guide Master Higgins through eight perilous stages. Use weapons and other useful items scattered across Adventure Island to defend yourself against enemies. Click here to watch a trailer for the game.
- NintendoeShop on Nintendo3DS
- The Keep – Enter the Keep as an unsung hero on a quest to destroy the nefarious wizard Watrys in this dungeon crawler featuring real-time combat, a unique rune magic system, exploration and puzzle solving. The game will awaken memories of why dungeons are so much fun to explore while you fight, hunt for hidden treasures and avoid deadly traps. Click here to watch a trailer for the game.
- NintendoeShop Sales
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS is launching soon, so it’s the perfect time to get to know the fighters. Now through Oct. 2, save up to 38 percent on select games starring Super Smash Bros. characters with the Super Smashing Sale. This week features characters like Zelda and Pit.
- For a limited time, save 50 percent on select Just Dance games in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U, including Just Dance 2014. This offer ends at 8:59 a.m. PT on Sept. 14.
- Unepic is 20 percent off (reduced from $9.99 to $7.99) until 9 a.m. PT on Oct. 1 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.
- Bit Boy!! Arcade is 38 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $4.99) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 24 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.
- Parking Star 3D is 33 percent off (reduced from $2.99 to $1.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Oct. 2 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.
- Select games from Rising Star Games, including Beyblade: Evolution and Girls’ Fashion Shoot, are being discounted up to 75 percent. This offer is valid until 8:59 a.m. PT on Sept. 25 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.
- Legend of the River King 2 – Sept. 18 (Virtual Console on Nintendo 3DS)
- Wild Guns – Sept. 18 (Virtual Console on Wii U)
- Mario Golf: Advance Tour – Sept. 25 (Virtual Console on Wii U)
Also new this week:
Nintendo’s 3D portable video game system will be getting three cool new looks for the holiday season. Nintendo announced the three special-edition Nintendo 3DS XL systems during the GameStop EXPO in Anaheim, California. The new systems are sure to be scooped up by collectors and anyone who was waiting for an excuse to buy a hand-held Nintendo system. Systems announced today include:
- Super Smash Bros. Edition Nintendo 3DS XL: Red and blue systems go on sale at retailers nationwide on Sept. 19 in honor of the Oct. 3 launch of the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS game. The cover of the new hardware features a dozen of the game’s characters, including Mario, Link, Samus and Little Mac. The systems will be available at a suggested retail price of $199.99 each. (The Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS game is sold separately.)
- NES Edition Nintendo 3DS XL: This cool-looking GameStop exclusive goes on sale Oct. 10 at a suggested retail price of $199.99. The hardware is modeled after Nintendo’s iconic NES controller and the box looks like an NES system.
- Persona Q Edition Nintendo 3DS XL: In honor of the Nov. 25 launch of the ATLUS role-playing game Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, GameStop will be the exclusive retailer for the Persona Q Edition of the Nintendo 3DS hardware. The design evokes the essence of Persona Q with the iconic Grimoire styling on the front – the tome used by the attendants of the Velvet Room and containing information on the many Personas – and the new style of character art represented on the back. It will be available at a suggested retail price of $199.99. (The Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth game is sold separately.)
“More than 12 million systems in the Nintendo 3DS family have been sold in the U.S. alone,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “These new models give shoppers even more choices during the holiday shopping season. Based on past experience, these special editions likely won’t stay on shelves for very long.”
“We expect these new special-edition designs to be in high demand,” said Michael Turner, director of merchandising at GameStop. “Nintendo 3DS is a great kid-friendly gaming device with excellent games, and we are pleased to share that these new designs are available for pre-order starting today.”
Capcom US has officially unveiled the special Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Collectors Edition which you’ll be able to get your hands on when the game launches exclusively on the Nintendo 3DS early next year. The company says that the designs have yet to be finalised.
As we are nearing the Japanese release for Super Smash Bros on the Nintendo 3DS, one Japanese gamer has produced a video showcasing the numerous billboards he has spotted advertising the game. The video is a compilation of adverts from Japanese train stations and shopping malls. Super Smash Bros 3DS comes out September 13th in Japan.