Nintendo has claimed another court case victory against patent infringement relating to Nintendo’s last-generation home system, Nintendo Wii. The company issued the following press release today:
A federal appeals court on June 13 confirmed that a patent asserted against Nintendo by Triton Tech of Texas, LLC is invalid. In a lawsuit filed in 2010, Triton alleged that Nintendo’s Wii Remote controller infringed one of Triton’s patents: U.S. Patent No. 5,181,181. Judge Richard A. Jones of the Seattle district court previously dismissed the lawsuit after finding that the patent did not adequately describe a complete invention, and was therefore invalid. The June 13 federal appeals court ruling upheld that previous dismissal. Nintendo of America’s deputy general counsel Richard Medway said the following:
“We are very pleased with this result. Nintendo has a long tradition of developing unique and innovative products, while respecting the intellectual property rights of others. Nintendo continues to aggressively defend itself against patent trolls. After many years of litigation, the decision today reflects an appropriate resolution of this case.”
Nintendo of America has revealed on Twitter that legendary designer Shigeru Miyamoto will be showing off some of his new projects on Nintendo Treehouse at E3 tomorrow. Presumably this means we’ll get some information on the new IP he’s working on, as well as other little surprises.
Nintendo Treehouse will begin live-streaming tomorrow from 11.35am PT and will continue throughout the event, excluding when the Smash Bros. Invitational Tournament is in play.
Nintendo has filed a new trademark in the US with an intriguing code name. On April 2, the gaming giant trademarked code name S.T.E.A.M: Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace. There’s no other hard facts as of yet, but speculation in gaming circles point to a possible sequel for The Wonderful 101 or an entirely new IP. Equally, we could be looking at an eShop game, though this one didn’t need to be green-lit. Let us know what your thoughts are on the new trademark in the comment section below.
Nintendo of America has produced an extremely effective advertisement advertising the Wii U as a brand new console from Nintendo. While it may seem too little too late as many people have already purchased their Christmas gifts this year, the video goes a long way at explaining the benefits of the system and the key differences between Wii U and the original Wii console. What do you think to Nintendo of America’s latest advertising campaign?
Luigi’s celebrations are far from over this year – he’s already been granted his own character hub on the official Nintendo site, as well as received his very own timeline detailing his lustrous career in the gaming industry, and now you can add a 30th Anniversary card to the ever-expanding list. Nintendo of America has announced on both its Twitter and Facebook pages that they are “rolling out the green carpet” for the ‘Year of Luigi’ and giving you the chance to submit a photo for his anniversary.
Nintendo has revealed that the top 2,000 submissions will be featured on a digital mosaic anniversary card, so to be in with a chance of being featured, take a gander at the link here, post a personalised message, and submit your Luigi-inspired photo. Nintendo has reminded fans of the following though, so make sure you adhere to the rules below if you’re planning on participating:
- Keep it clean and friendly
- Be sure you have permission from everyone included in the photo if it includes more than just yourself.
- By clicking “Send Greeting”, you are allowing Nintendo to include your photo and comment as part of the Luigi mosaic.
Nintendo of America has told Kotaku that they are aware that a group has claimed to have hacked the Wii U, though they have had no reports of illegal Wii U games nor unauthorized applications playable on the system while in Wii U mode. The news came earlier today when WiiKey claimed that they had managed to completely reverse the Wii U drive authentication, disk encryption and file system. Here’s what Nintendo had to say.
“Nintendo is aware that a hacking group claims to have compromised Wii U security. However, we have no reports of illegal Wii U games nor unauthorized applications playable on the system while in Wii U mode. Nintendo continuously monitors all threats to its products’ security and will use technology and will take the necessary legal steps to prevent the facilitation of piracy.”
Nintendo of America has issued a statement to Game Trailers regarding the news yesterday that Nintendo won’t be holding an E3 presentation. Nintendo will be at E3 in full force, but they just won’t be hosting their annual presentation there. Instead, the company will focus on its Nintendo Direct presentations, and the various press events that it holds. Here’s what Nintendo of America’s Charlie Scibetta, Senior Director, Corporate Communications has to say about Nintendo’s plans for this year.
“As you’ve already seen, a lot of news about Nintendo games and services that traditionally would be held until E3 is being delivered this year through Nintendo Directs, and various press events. This approach will continue between now and E3. No matter where you are in the world, you’ll be fully informed. We look forward to continuing to provide you with Nintendo news and content in ways you haven’t before experienced. Beyond the news that will be communicated through Nintendo Direct videos in the run up to E3, at the show itself we’re hosting two smaller events on Tuesday morning before the LACC opens instead of just our traditional one event. A media event and a partner presentation will both occur that morning. While the audiences will be different between the two events, both will occur on the Tuesday morning of E3 (June 11) which is the date and time period the public has come to expect for Nintendo to deliver E3 news.
At the Nokia theater we’ll meet with business partners (retailers, publishers, analysts, etc.) from the NOA territory and discuss our plans for driving the business and providing tailored information that this group finds useful to their operations. Nintendo has done these same type of business meetings at past E3 shows, but has not in the past few years. This year we are returning to that business partner meeting format. New this year at our booth in the LACC, prior to the show opening, we’ll invite a small group of media to play our games. We will have a strong line-up of beloved franchise experiences available for immediate hands-on play. We are continuing to consider exciting new ways to bring the news of our games and information directly to the players at home during the E3 timeframe, and will have more to say about that at a later date.”
After yesterday’s announcement that Nintendo’s profits had suffered sufficient losses last financial year, Satoru Iwata has taken a big step by revealing in an official statement he will take on an extra role at Nintendo of America. Iwata will lace up his shoes as the CEO of Nintendo America after Tatsumi Kimishima – the current CEO – moves on to become the global managing director of Nintendo, based in its Kyoto headquarters.
This is big news as Kimishima, who previously came to Nintendo in 2000, will assume the role in both Corporate Analysis and Administration and the General Affairs divisions – meaning that the current bosses Yoshihiro Mori and Masaharu Matsumoto will step down this summer for retirement.
The big shift is set to create a more streamlined approach when it comes to matters of business and, of course, to fortify Nintendo’s global unified strategy within such a competitive market. With Satoru Iwata acting as NoA’s CEO, Nintendo’s COO Reggie-Fils Aime will now report directly to Iwata.
A Nintendo 3DS user recently contacted Nintendo of America’s customer service, and asked about whether digital Nintendo 3DS games could be recovered, if the handheld console was stolen or misplaced. A customer service representative for the company replied by reiterating that all digital content on the Nintendo 3DS is tied to the system itself, and, therefore, lost or stolen digital games and applications purchased from the Nintendo eShop cannot be retrieved.
… I was wondering, should I lose or have my 3DS stolen, is there any way to retrieve the games that I’ve purchased on the eshop? I am curious about your policy on this, and especially when so many young kids play 3DS and could potentially lose them. I know on the iphone and PSP, you are tied to an account to which you can retrieve your games. How does it work for Nintendo? Should I be worried about buying my little nephew eshop points?
Nintendo of America customer service representative: Thank you for writing. I’ll be happy to answer your questions regarding virtual content on the Nintendo 3DS. All virtual content downloaded on the Nintendo 3DS is tied to the system itself. As our warranty doesn’t cover lost or stolen game cards and systems, if this were to happen regardless of your games being virtual or you owning the physical copies, they would not be covered for replacement. …
Nintendo of America has revealed via its official Facebook page that the Wii U Virtual Console will be officially launching on Wii U this Tuesday in North America. The Wii U system update is also due to be released next week and features a number of improvements. You can see all the Virtual Console titles that have been announced for North America below.
- Balloon Fight
- Donkey Kong Jr
- Kirby’s Adventure
- Ice Climber
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)
- Mario Bros.
- Mega Man 1
- Wrecking Crew
- Yoshi’s Cookie
- Kirby’s Dream Course
- Kirby’s Dream Land 3
- Kirby Super Star
- Super Metroid