Nintendo has unveiled it will be showing off five of its hottest games at WonderCon later this week. Budding Mario Kart 8 racers will be able to get their heart rates pumping with playable tracks at the event, while both Nintendo 3DS gems Kirby: Triple Deluxe and Mario Golf: World Tour will be playable before release as well. The annual convention will take place in Anaheim, California, between April 18 and 20. Below is a list of the Nintendo games playable at WonderCon.
Yoshio Sakamoto, the director behind Super Metroid and Metroid: Other M, doesn’t sound like he’s returning to the series anytime soon. Sakamoto says that he wants to create entertainment that’s completely different and that genuinely brings new emotions. Sakamoto is currently the director of Tomodachi Life.
“I do not intend to do so. There might [currently] be various tasks I might be involved in with past series. However, even if so, I would always like to introduce new entertainment and new fun to those series.”
“… This might be indirect, but if we can make new types of gamers enjoy video games for the first time through Tomodachi Life, then they might eventually become interested in the more conventional games. … I would like to challenge myself to do that.”
Five great Nintendo 3DS games, including the top three best-selling Nintendo 3DS games of all time, are getting a new lower price. Together these five games have sold more than 9 million combined physical and digital units in the United States alone, and represent some of the most fun game experiences available today. The five games are must-haves for anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo 2DS system, and their new price represents an even better value for consumers.
Starting April 22, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D will be available in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS and in retail stores at a suggested retail price of just $29.99 each.
In order, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros. 2 represent the top three best-selling Nintendo 3DS games of all time in the United States – each one has sold more than 2.15 million physical and digital units in the U.S. alone. All five of the newly discounted games star classic Nintendo characters and franchises, and their strong sales over time demonstrate the longevity of Nintendo’s games. The games make great gifts, engaging entertainment for families and other spring break travelers, or just a way to introduce kids to the fun of video games.
Following weeks of Pokémon battles up and down the country, the countdown to the Pokémon X and Pokémon Y Battle Tournament 2014 Grand Final is on. Hosting the Pokémon Battle Tournament 2014 Grand Final in London on Saturday 26th April 2014 is comedian, actor and Pokémon fan, Johnny Vegas. Having emerged triumphant in the regional heats, Pokémon Experts from all across the country will descend on The Music Room, London, to see who will be crowned champion – with four titles for the taking: Ultimate Pokémon Expert, Junior Expert, Ultimate Team and Ultimate Pokémon Expert.
Johnny Vegas, will be hosting the Grand Final and awarding some fantastic prizes to all the victors, including a trip of a lifetime to Tokyo and a range of exciting Nintendo goodies. Full terms and conditions including prizes can be found at www.nintendo.co.uk/pokemontournament.
As well as the final battles between competitors, there will be an area for guests to relax and try other try other games from the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, including Mario Kart 7, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Learn with Pokémon: Typing Adventure. There will also be a training centre for newcomers, where a Pokémon guru will be on hand to answer any Pokémon related questions and Pokémon Trading Card demonstrations will take place throughout the event.
Throughout the day, there will also be competitions for the best Pokémon Cosplay as well as mini competitions based around Streetpass with on the spot prizes up for grabs, so make sure you come prepared with your Nintendo 3DS console and your best costumes.
The four main titles up for grabs at the Pokémon X and Pokémon Y Battle Tournament 2014 Grand Final are:
- Ultimate Pokémon Expert - The winner of the prestigious “Ultimate Pokémon Expert” title – a category open to those aged thirteen years or older – will earn themselves a week-long trip for two to Japan, the birthplace of Pokémon. They’ll be able to immerse themselves in the Pokémon world by visiting the Pokémon Center and also explore all of the sights of Tokyo. Recommended for seasoned Pokémon players the “Ultimate Pokémon Expert” title will test your Pokémon skills to the limit. The first and second place winners in the Ultimate Pokémon Expert category will receive fast track entry to the second round of the official Play! Pokémon UK VGC event this spring.
- Junior Expert – For the younger Pokémon Trainers (12 or under) there’s a chance to win a weekend trip for the whole family to Alton Towers theme park, including hotel stay, for whoever comes out victorious. The first and second place winners in the Junior Expert age category will receive fast track entry to the second round of the UK Pokémon Video Game Championships event this spring.
- Ultimate Team - The “Ultimate Team” competition is exclusively for two family members (one aged 16 or older, and one 12 or under) who want to team up and take on other families in a four-player Double Battle. Successful teams will have the chance to win a £250 Nintendo UK Online Store voucher and a group trip for four to one of the world’s best gaming shows: EGX London 2014. This event takes place in Earls Court London, from 25th – 28th September and offers visitors the chance to play the biggest games before they are released.
- Pokémon Apprentice – One new enthusiast will be claiming the “Pokémon Apprentice” title; meaning a complete newcomer to Pokémon X and Pokémon Y will walk away with a mega bundle of Nintendo 3DS games, up to the value of £300.
Hosted by comedian and Pokémon fan Johnny Vegas, the Pokémon X and Pokémon Y Battle Tournament 2014 Grand Final will be held at The Music Room, London, from 11.30am until 7pm, where four titles will be awarded to the nation’s best Pokémon players. There are also great prizes waiting for these champions, including a trip to Tokyo and Nintendo products, so the stakes are high for all Pokémon trainers involved.
Tomodachi Life producer Yoshio Sakamoto has spoken at length about the premise of Tomodachi Life on the Nintendo 3DS. Sakamoto says that while some of the ideas are similar, they didn’t receive any influence of input from the beloved Animal Crossing franchise. He also revealed that a console version of the game isn’t necessarily out of the question, though this is really something that the development team will have to consider.
- Console version could be a possibility in Sakamoto’s opinion
- 33 people at Nintendo worked on the title
- External developers also helped
- Development took two years
- Localization took another year
- The original game wasn’t localized due to DS restrictions
- The voice/data engine couldn’t handle all the different languages and sounds
Nintendo of America has detailed precisely which games Nintendo fans can get their hands on this week on the Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS eShop. The games include LEGO The Hobbit for the Nintendo 3DS as well as Kirby & The Amazing Mirror for the Wii U VC.
Virtual Console on Wii U
- Kirby & The Amazing Mirror – April is a month to remember with classic games launching each week! Summon Red, Yellow and Green Kirby to help you solve puzzles, fight enemies or take out the big baddies. Use copy abilities such as the arrow-shooting Cupid Kirby or the melee-master Smash Kirby, while platforming through maze-like worlds. Need a break from the action? Try mini-games such as Crackity Hack and Kirby’s Wave Ride, which also star our favorite pink hero and friends.
- WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ – April is a month to remember with classic games launching each week! Prepare for lightning-quick game play as you blaze through more than 200 bizarre microgames designed by a crazy crew of Wario’s cronies. Simple controls make each game in WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ easy to get into … until the games start coming faster … and faster … and FASTER! Think you can outwit Wario?
Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
- LEGO(r) The Hobbit – LEGO The Hobbit allows gamers to play along with their favorite scenes from the first two films in The Hobbit trilogy.
- Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars – In this JRPG, monsters have invaded the world of Aterra, and only a few special individuals imbued with the power of the Star God are equipped to fight them. Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars will be available on April 15.
- Nintendo eShop Sales
- DuckTales: Remastered – Embark on an authentic Disney adventure around the world to retrieve five legendary treasures with Scrooge McDuck and his three nephews: Huey, Dewey and Louie. Now through 9 a.m. PT on April 17, get DuckTales: Remastered for 50 percent off in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.
- Escape From Zombie City – For a limited time, Escape From Zombie City will be 50 percent off in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS. This promotion starts at 9 a.m. PT on April 12 and ends at 9 a.m. PT on April 27.
- G-Style Co. – Select G-Style games will be on sale in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS, including Crazy Construction, Chain Blaster, Undead Bowling and Jump Trials Supreme. This offer starts at 9 a.m. PT on April 12 and ends at 9 a.m. PT on April 27.
Also new this week:
- Mach Rider (Virtual Console on Nintendo 3DS)
- Atlantic Quest (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS) – Available April 15
- Governor of Poker (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
- Boxzle (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
- My Exotic Farm (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Permanent price reduction:
- My Farm (Nintendo eShop on Wii U) – Starting today, the price of My Farm is being reduced from $7.99 to $4.99.
- Coming soon:
- Popular NES game Super Mario Bros. 3 launches for both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS on April 17. Considered by many to be one of the best games ever made, the title makes for a great way to enjoy the Easter holiday weekend and beyond.
Nintendo of America has revealed which iconic games Nintendo fans can get their hands on this month on the Virtual Console. From today gamers can purchase Kirby & The Amazing Mirror and WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame on the Wii U Virtual Console. You can see the full list, including dates, below.
- Advance Wars ($7.99) – Wii U
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga ($7.99) – Wii U
- Metroid Fusion ($7.99) – Wii U
- Kirby & The Amazing Mirror ($6.99) – Wii U
- WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$! ($6.99) – Wii U
- Super Mario Bros. 3 ($4.99) – 3DS/Wii U
- F-Zero: Maximum Velocity ($6.99) – Wii U
- Golden Sun ($7.99) – Wii U
- Yoshi’s Island: Super Mario Advance 3 ($7.99) – Wii U
Take all your preconceived notions about life’s possibilities, crumple them into a ball and toss them out the window. It’s time to star in a whole new life. On June 6, visit the outrageously bizarre island world of Tomodachi Life for the Nintendo 3DS system. Everyone you know, and everyone you wish you knew, should prepare to meet their Mii maker – you! – as you build a bustling fantasy population of friends, family and even celebrities, all in one wild and hilarious world. The real emotional connection you already share with your Mii characters will keep you glued to the drama, intrigue and hilarity that ensues as everyone goes about their extraordinary daily lives, evolving and interacting in unpredictable and often uproarious ways.
The Tomodachi franchise already has taken Japan by storm, selling more than 5.5 million games. Its first North American title, Tomodachi Life, is poised to stake out unprecedented video game territory when it launches June 6. Nintendo announced more details today in a special Tomodachi Life-themed Nintendo Direct. To view the Nintendo Direct in its entirety, visit http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct.
“Nintendo fans are familiar with Mii characters, but now they come to life in ways they never have before – with their own lives, interests and personalities,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Customization and open-ended play are two big video game trends for 2014, and Tomodachi Life delivers a fun, creative experience that makes you want to visit again and again, because there’s always something interesting going on.”
“Tomodachi” is the Japanese word for “friend.” After completely customizing all your Mii characters, from their voices and appearances right down to their personality quirks, you’ll recognize them instantly. But you can’t possibly predict what they’ll do next. For the first time ever, Mii characters behave based on the personality traits you select, playing out the drama you set in motion. A celebrity might fall in love with your math teacher. Your mom might jump on stage to belt out heavy metal songs. Or you could become famous striking poses down the runway of a fashion show wearing cute and silly outfits. Best of all, you can document these unbelievable moments for posterity and share them all with your friends via the Nintendo 3DS Image Share service.
Even your far-fetched celebrity dreams can come true in Tomodachi Life. If you have ever wanted international superstar Christina Aguilera to join you in a sing-off, or believed that she would become BFFs with your cousin or wished she would perform a song with your customized lyrics, it could happen here. The multi award-winning singer has signed on to be a part of Nintendo’s promotional campaign for the game, and her Mii character will be available at launch. Aguilera’s Mii character also will guest star in a TV commercial and in online videos that show all the exciting things that happen when celebrities mingle with Miis players know personally. The first video in the series can be viewed here: http://youtu.be/sBTHSY5GKKY. Additional celebrities involved with Tomodachi Life will be announced over the upcoming weeks.
The plot of Tomodachi Life thickens with the addition of each Mii character. As they deliver one gripping twist and turn after another, you can reward them with in-game gifts and clothes, their favorite foods or special flourishes for their apartments. Together you can further broaden your Tomodachi Life horizons by exploring the island, solving characters’ problems and helping them with their needs.
Additional information about Tomodachi Life will be revealed in the future. For the latest updates, visit http://tomodachi.nintendo.com. The game will play on Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 2DS systems, and will be available in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS and on Nintendo 2DS at a suggested retail price of $34.99.
A new mode inspired by the iconic 1990 Nintendo World Championship event is making its way into the upcoming NES Remix 2 game, launching exclusively in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U on April 25. The original Nintendo World Championship in 1990 challenged players to achieve the highest cumulative score in three specific games using a multiplier-based scoring system. The new Championship Mode in NES Remix 2 follows a similar model, but features an updated slate of three games and a revised scoring multiplier.
Super Mario Bros. remains as one of the three games in Championship Mode, but is now joined by Super Mario Bros. 3 and Dr. Mario. Players will take on a series of three successive score-based challenges in these games to achieve a cumulative total score. Scores can be posted to Miiverse, so players can compete with friends and others who also have the game. The first NES Remix game is required to experience Championship Mode in NES Remix 2.
NES Remix 2 is a mashup of classic Nintendo games that features challenges from many different NES games like Kid Icarus, Kirby’s Adventure and Metroid. Just like NES Remix, this sequel includes stages from NES games with added challenges, as well as modified stages that introduce new elements.