Publisher Activision has revealed the next entry in the popular Skylanders series, also known as the sequel to Skylanders Giants, which was released in Fall 2012. Skylanders SWAP Force features new characters, 250 new character combinations, and it is scheduled to launch in the Fall on multiple video game platforms. The HD versions – for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii U – are being developed by Vicarious Visions, whereas developer Beenox is working on the Wii version, and n-Space is developing the Nintendo 3DS version.
Activision’s vice president of consumer marketing, John Coyne, welcomed Disney Infinity to the market and made it clear that his company is the leader of the ‘toys to life’ category, via an issued statement to GameSpot. In under two years, the two games in the Skylanders franchise, which were published by Activision, have generated over $500 million in U.S. sales. Disney Infinity, set for release in June, will integrate collectible physical toys from Disney and Pixar worlds.
“We are thrilled by the incredible success that the Skylanders franchise has had in such a short period of time. We are also flattered that one of the leading family entertainment companies is joining our ‘toys to life’ category.”
“We continue to focus on delivering innovative and immersive entertainment experiences to kids around the world and are pouring more creativity into our games. As a result, we are well positioned to continue leading the category.”
-Activision vice president of consumer marketing John Coyne
Toys For Bob and publisher Activision should be extremely pleased with the sales of the incredibly popular Skylanders series in the United States and the United Kingdom. The Skylanders franchise has reached $500 million in the United States, and the series has become the 3rd best-selling franchise of all time in the United Kingdom.
“Just a year ago, the concept of bringing toys to life in a virtual world was an untested play pattern that Activision and Toys For Bob believed in. Now the category has been established in the market and embraced by parents and kids everywhere.”
“We’re humbled by the continued support and acclaim from parents, kids and critics alike, but more importantly, it’s gratifying to see kids excited about the adventures that await them both in the digital and physical worlds.”
- John Coyne, VP of Consumer Marketing at Activision
Sega is apparently busy rebooting the Sonic franchise after it was revealed earlier last week that the company has suffered huge financial losses. The rumour stems from TSSZ who state that the much-loved franchise could end up taking the Skylanders route with collectible figures providing a new form of interactive entertainment. Here’s what they have to say on the matter:
- Sonic Team and Sega are looking to better monetize Sonic
- Potentially “massive” and “total” reboot
- Sega and Sonic Team are “committed” to the reboo
- Speed, platforming, and surreal environments will remain
- Sonic and Dr. Eggman’s rivalry will continue
- Both characters may undergo a makeover
- Everything else is up in the air and may see radical changes, including Tails
- May birth a new universe and characters
- New gameplay methods and gimmicks
- Zones would be massively expanded and become their own world
- Zones feature individual levels masked as missions
- Idea likened to Burnout Paradise
- Includes a brand-new engine
- Photo-realism is of no concern
- May aggressively pursue a collection model as part of the reboot
- Targeting the young audience that enjoys physical collectibles
- May require physical emblems and collectibles to unlock special features
- SEGA inspired by Skylanders’ success
- Physical toys and collectibles may have an interactive component with a new cartoon series
- May offer classic characters in-game as DLC
Activision has announced at Toy Fair that it’s preparing a sequel to the immensely popular Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure which is titled Skylanders Giants. The next chapter in the Skylanders franchise will introduce more than 20 New Figures Including Super-Sized Giants and Characters Featuring Light Technology. Every character from Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure is 100% compatible with Skylanders Giants and have leveled-up stats and customizations intact.