Smealum, the renowned French coder, has announced that a Homebrew Channel for the Nintendo 3DS is coming very soon. The new Homebrew Channel will work on current Nintendo 3DS firmware versions and should also allow you to play games from any region. However, you can’t run commercial or pirated 3DS ROMS.
- It works on the latest 3DS firmware, unlike previous hacks that require outdated versions from a year and a half ago
- This will not load commercial or pirated 3DS ROMs, only homebrew apps and games (though it will be able to run emulators like this SNES one for 3DS)
- It will support North American, European, and Japanese systems
- While Smealum hasn’t implemented region unlocking yet, he says “playing games from other region[s] should almost definitely be possible”
- Presumably you’ll need a homebrew device to patch your system once Smealum releases the hack.