Chris Pranger from Nintendo’s Treehouse has recently taken part in a podcast with Part-Time Gamer where he discusses working for the legendary company. Ranger talks about Nintendo’s current media policy, playing video games on other systems to familiarise themselves with what’s popular, and also Masahiro Sakurai’s hardcore work ethic. You can give it a listen, right here.
- Interesting bit. He says Nintendo’s media policy has recently changed regarding employees being more open about talking about their work but not spoilers or anything. That’s probably why he can even do this podcast.
- He is the voice of the first level boss in Star Fox Zero. Is working on the game as well.
- Talks about NOA using employees as VAs for fun and cheap work.
- Nintendo has a game library where employees can check out games for all systems in order to be well-versed in gaming. He played Bioshock Infinite that way.
- Sakurai kills himself for his games. Is very sensitive to fan feedback.
- Localization costs a ton of money and often the vocal minority of fans who want a game localized isn’t a large enough consumer base to justify the localization costs. The original Xenoblade is an example he gives. NOE ate the cost on that project (as we know).