Smash Bros Creator Sakurai Confirms He’s Working On Next Project

We are all dying to know what Super Smash Bros creator Masahiro Sakurai is working on next. Sadly we are no closer to finding out, but he has confirmed in the latest edition of Weekly Famitsu that he has already started work on his next project. The news was part of a feature where Japanese creators share their 2016 ambitions and plans. Here’s what Sakurai had to say.

Sora’s Masahiro Sakurai (Super Smash Bros., Kid Icarus, etc.)

I want to enjoy every day like it’s Sunday. However, that doesn’t mean the next job hasn’t been decided.

Source / Via

1. Nice to know he is advancing to a new project. I’m already anxious, does Sakurai will make another work for Nintendo or is he finally going to develop to another platforms?

1. Hey, do u have Xenoblade Chronicles x i need seriously HELP!!!

1. brucelee312 says:

Where are you and what mission are you doing

2. Nintendo Tetrarch Quadramus-NX says:

>>>I’m almost 100% on everything in the game, what is your problem citizen?>>>

2. most likely a nintendo game and it would probably be a 3ds game, would be hyped if it was a wii u game. either way im excited.

1. AKA-Link77 says:

I think hes going to revive an old series like he did with Kid Icarus. Maybe an IceClimbers game?? Or maybe even an earthbound/mother!

2. I hope so, but I can’t deny that would be very interesting to see Sakurai working with other consoles, he praised the PS4 as a great machine to develop games, and since he is a freelance developer, the probabilities are huge. Of course, he still wants to have relationships with Nintendo after Iwata’s passing, but I’m just commenting because how interesting this could be.

3. Sakurai is a Nintendo employee. He wont make games for Xbox One PS…

1. The order of Paimon says:

no, he is not a Nintendo employee.

1. Jesse Thomas says:

Sora is a subsidiary of Nintendo you moron

1. The order of Paimon says:

hahahahahahaha, the subsidiary was Project Sora.
            do you remember the iwata asks about super smash bros brawl?:
            Sakurai: So this is for the “Iwata Asks” interviews, right?
            Iwata: That’s right.
            Sakurai: In other words, this is where you, the president of Nintendo, interview the developers working for Nintendo.
            Sakurai: Is it okay for me to be here since I’m not a Nintendo employee?

2. Sakurai isn’t a Nintendo employee

3. Sakurai is NOT a Nintendo employee, he is a freelance developer since 2003 and runs his own company Sora, he made Meteos for DS in 2005 that was developed by Q? Entertainment and published by Bandai, this game got sequels in PC and Xbox 360. Brawl, KI Uprising and Smash 4 were all deveoped in a freelance fashion, all envolving different teams and studios.

2. KID ICARUS UPRISING HD!!! PLEASE OR A NEW KID ICARUS GAME FOR NX!

1. paidenthusiast says:

I would buy that in a heartbeat, that would be awesome

2. Nintendo Tetrarch Quadramus-NX says:

>>>A new game is always better>>>

1. Marce2240 says:

*cough* CODENAMESTEAM *cough*

1. Nintendo Tetrarch Quadramus-NX says:

>>>The aftermath doesn’t matter because a new game is unknown until it’s played>>>

1. Marce2240 says:

Don’t know about you, but I’d rather have a good sequel than a mediocre new IP, even if the anticipation and excitement for the new IP is greater. That’s not to say that variety is unimportant, obviously.

1. Nintendo Tetrarch Quadramus-NX says:

>>>My point is that once a new game is announced, it’s unknown wether it will be great or garbage until a few dozen plays the game first hand>>>

1. Marce2240 says:

Oh, I get it now. I understood that ‘new game’ you said on your previous post as ‘new IP’ instead of ‘anything but a remaster’. My bad.

3. Oh my god, does he even get any holidays in between games? O.O

1. Do u, have Xenoblade Chronicles x

1. I do, what’s the issue?

1. I need help on, (Chapter 5, A New Friend, Level 19 Required btw) This big ass Monster keeps killing me again and again!!!..)

1. Grind and get your levels up.

1. skeletons420 says:

Love a good grinding session.

2. Add me on WiiU: Minaster53t
          And follow me on twitter:
          @trainer_Mewtwo
          with a Bayonetta/ZZS picture.

4. I’d love to see another Kid Icarus game. A videogame set in a mythological world is such a magnificent idea

1. i’m a take a greak i feel so stress… After getting ass kicked 25 times. my characters in Xenoblade X:

Jayce – 19
      Elma – 19
      Lin – 18

Monster:
      14 with a strong special move :/

1. brucelee312 says:

Like someone said keep grinding to level 25 or higher and make sure you equip the best ground gear you can for each character and or sell the ground gear and save up to buy the best armor for each character from the store and next to the store keep leveling up what armor is available with the points you get which is 6000 maybe more and I am still the original class but level 34 I think and I’m only on chapter 4 but I’m grinding so when it comes to missions I will wreck the monsters and I’m leveling up all the characters I can play as and can put on my team so far to level 30 and up like for example lin and elm are 30 and up and Doug and Gwin are 30 and up and yelv is 30 and up and I’m working on h.b. and irina today and will get them up to level 30 and up but I know places to quickly level them up and I will save up to 1.6 million dollars or more so all of my characters will have the best armor as of now from the store and I have 500 thousand dollars so I will still have a ways to go and find places to grind your characters quickly but make sure you don’t die but they can die all they want since they come back for example I was level 30 yesterday and I faced a few level 41 dinosaurs in the desert place I forgot the name and I leveled up quickly but I can only do that much of a level difference on some enemies but the max I would say go is 5 levels from your level and that’s all I can think of right now

1. Ok, i’m doing it now thanks you

1. brucelee312 says:

OK that’s good and I was just grinding in the area that is straight from the home base with level 30 or higher pigs and then going near the trail where you go to fight the aliens for the first time go to the side and there are level 35 and up pigs and spiders and other creatures

5. Rootgamer says:

I hate Sundays as much as I hate Mondays.

1. Jaded Ridley X3 {I'm not whining, you suckers... *cough* ..poor souls! I've just been driven insane by Nintendo failing me one too many times this gen!} says:

Good thing I have WWE to make Monday nights & the occasional Sunday night bearable. Not to mention my video games.

6. Captain N says:

Loved Uprising and anything Sakurai puts out. Definitely excited, but he seriously needs some time off. To me, Sakurai is Nintendo’s Kojima.

1. Marce2240 says:

Doesn’t get a rest, keeps going back to the series after saying he’s done with it, keeps getting younger with age…
      Yep, it checks out.

2. Nah, not really- Nintendo still lets Sakurai attend gaming events/award shows.

7. dremurf313 says:

Oh PLEASE!! Isn’t it obvious……….
    FIRE EMBLEM!! What else could it be? LMAO

1. Sakurai doesn’t work on Fire Emblem lol. Thats Intelligent Systems.

8. I may hate you Sakurai, but come on, TAKE TIME OFF SO YOUR INJURIES CAN HEAL. As for what he has started working on….drawing up plans for Smash on NX would be a relatively safe bet.

9. clbgolden says:

Inb4 Duck Hunt: Uprising.

10. Hopefully, whatever he’s working on has a story mode this time. A game with no single player story mode is absolutely pointless.

1. alexsmith113 says:

The original SSB and Melee didn’t have a “story mode” either. So games made for fun multiplayer are.. pointless?? You have some of the most batshit crazy opinions I ever see.

And that’s saying a lot.

11. Nice, he’s already working on the next Smash project for the NX ;)

1. I highly doubt it’s another Smash Bros. game. Not THIS soon.

12. pink0crystal0midbus says:

Watch it be the next Smash Bros game… They probably already have him designing what the next one will be all about and whatnot.

I certainly hope this isn’t the case. I would LOVE to see Sakurai work on another Kid Icarus game or, even better, a brand new IP!

13. Let’s hope it’s Smash 5 for NX.

14. Greg Warner says:

Sakurai has done at least one game between each Smash game. I can’t imagine him going straight to Smash 5 right now.

It’d be nice if he went back to Kid Icarus, or maybe worked on another series or new IP.

15. Marce2240 says:

I’m hoping for either Kid Icarus or something new. I don’t see how Kirby might benefit that much by having him on board again.

16. sonicgalaxy27 says:

Sakurai is working on the next project already? So i guess it will be something new but i think the next project my be other then smash bros or something else.

17. takamaru64 says:

Let me guess, Panel De Pon? I heard it was his favorite puzzle game series and it wouldn’t be too farfetched for him to take this opportunity to revive it. If not, then a Kid Icarus sequel seems very likely since he’s taken a liking for that universe.

Personally, Murasame Castle wouldn’t be a good fit for him which is why I would expect Kamiya to be the one handling that.

1. He’s already stated he doesn’t want to make another Kid Icarus, or at least not this soon. Hopefully we don’t have to wait another 25 years for the next sequel, but I’m okay waiting a bit longer than 4 years. F-Zero, on the other hand…

Maybe he can make an Ice Climbers revival so he has no excuse to cut them from Smash again.

Except Sakurai is a well known liar/troll. He says one thing but ends up doing the opposite sometime later.

18. Jaded Ridley X3 {I'm not whining, you suckers... *cough* ..poor souls! I've just been driven insane by Nintendo failing me one too many times this gen!} says:

He’s like a wrestler that refuses to quit even when his age is becoming an issue or he’s injured & should give the injury a couple of months to heal up. If there is no one to tell him to stop, he won’t. Thus what he can give us will be severely lacking because he isn’t 100%.