Splatoon 2’s Tick Rate Clocked In At 12.5Hz In The Recent Global Testfire

Thanks to a software developer who on Twitter goes by the name of @octobyte, he measured Splatoon 2‘s tick rate during the Global Testfire over the weekend. Tickrate, for those who aren’t in the know (I had to look it up too), is how often per second the server sends updated data to the game client. The higher the tick rate the more accurate the action occurring on screen is. Remembering that the demo’s we played over the weekend aren’t representative of the final build, the tick rate was 12.5Hz which, in comparison to Splatoon 1, clocked in at double that.

NeoGaf user, Bluth54, has listed what some other current online games come it with their tick rate:

Splatoon 1: 25Hz
Overwatch: Increased from 20Hz to 63Hz
CSGO: 64 Hz
Team Fortress 2: 66 Hz
Battlefield One: Increased from 30 Hz to 45 Hz
Rainbow Six Seige: Increased from 30 Hz to 60 Hz

With news that the game ran at a respectable frame rate throughout and that playing when tethered to your mobile network doesn’t use a huge amount of data, I think we can be rest assured that Splatoon 2 will work just fine come launch.

Source 1 / Source 2

1. I assume then it will reach at least 25Hz when Splatoon 2 is finally launched.

2. Batman says:

Well i had literally zero issues with lag in my playtime, so i really don’t care, lol.

1. durchburch says:

Same here. It honestly felt just as good as Splatoon 1, half the tick rate or not (and I played Splatoon 1 online literally within a week of the Testfire).

1. Batman says:

Yeah, it actually feels better than Splatoon 1 did in its testfire.

3. darthchrisb says:

Lol 25Hz in theory! When I played Splatoon 1 it was very laggy most of the time!

4. reeleemee says:

Well idc about how much Splatoon ticks i just want good smooth online and single player come release day. I literally only played 1 match and it was pretty smooth the whole match lol

5. For me Splatoon always ran flawless and with the limited time I spent with Splatoon 2 test fire, I feel at ease knowing it pretty much performed the same as the first game. Getting used to the new jump button was my biggest hurdle 😅

1. LMAOSHMSFO says:

I kept looking down at the controller every time I died the first few times. old habits die hard lol

6. Deepsouth says:

And to be fair, this is why they call it a “testfire”. Really just a fancy and fun word for beta.

7. I think the Commander would say “Irrelevant” or something like that. Because it is.