Previews so far for Devil’s Third haven’t been quite what people were expecting, but European gamers will have a chance to find out for themselves next month. The producer Tomonobu Itagaki is stressing that people should play the game with the Wii U Pro Controller as that’s what he designed the game around. He blames the bad previews on the fact that people are using the GamePad. The game itself runs at 30fps and Itagaki says this framerate is just fine for the game.
- Devil’s Third runs in 30 FPS. Itagaki promises that this massive shooter (emphasis on massive) is enjoyable at 30 FPS.
- Itagaki decided not to use split screen for online and offline play. Instead, the single player campaign uses the full power of the Wii U console.
- Devil’s Third does not have voice chat. The bandwidth that would have been used for this feature was instead used for 16 player multiplayer.
- In an earlier post, Itagaki explained why they recommend the Pro Controller and a USB keyboard over the GamePad. He feels the face buttons are crowded on the GamePad, so you can make mistakes with inputs. The analogs are also too far apart, making it difficult to get a graps of the battlefield. Lastly, and practically, the GamePad is not suitable for many hours of play, and they designed Devil’s Third for long play sessions.
- Valhalla chimed in and explained that it comes down to multiplayer, which they intend to house tens of thousands of players.