We were all a little shocked and surprised to see that Cloud from the Final Fantasy series is a newcomer in Super Smash Bros. There’s been a ton of amusing reaction videos posted onto YouTube, but what did the Japanese think to Cloud’s inclusion to the diverse roster? Well, the Legends of Localisation browsed Twitter and 2Chan to find out what a small sample of Japanese consumers thought!
- Cloud doesn’t match Nintendo, shoulda gone with Bartz, though I doubt he’d be popular
- If they’re gonna put Cloud in there, I think they should really put in popular characters from Famicom and Super Famicom games that were pillars of those systems.
- Someone like Goemon, or Goemon, or Goemon…
- Or maybe no kids these days know who Goemon is?
- I’m SO happy the Advent Children outfit is in there
- Should’ve waited to put him in the next game
- Can’t wait for the FF7 remake!
- At this point they’ll throw anything into Smash
- Oh yeah, I NEED his amiibo
- They should just make Smash like LoL where it’s free to play and you can pay to get more characters
- that’s all
- His up-smash seemed really weird
- Is this a hint that the FF7 remake’s gonna be on the Wii U too?
- Honestly, all I can think is, “So?” In the end, they’re just trying to extend the life of the game by adding characters afterward.
- Regardless of sales totals, if this is what we can expect from our games now, then the 3DS is done for.
- Is there something wrong with extending the life of a game? I don’t see the problem in trying to let a game sell for a long time alongside new games that come and go.
- Cloud dressed up like a girl would be adorable…
- So what?
- Sony fanboys gonna go crazy!!!
- Please, Square-Enix! Put Geno in too!
- Go back to PlayStation!
- Cloud’s been on Nintendo systems before:
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (GBA)
Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (DS)
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (3DS)
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (3DS)
Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS)
- Cecil would’ve been better
- Looks like Link
- Why now?
- I loved FF7 so I’m glad that Cloud’s going to be in the game. But I guess nobody else here feels that way…
- If Cloud’s in, Tifa can’t be far behind. Am I the only one who thinks that?
- I’ve honestly never played a single Final Fantasy game
- Way too many male characters. We need more female characters, it’s getting way too unbalanced!
- Snake, Sonic, and Rockman were all on Nintendo systems at some point, so they make sense. But Cloud…?
- Nintendo has finally broken its limit
- I suspected that they were going crazy with these new characters… and yep, I was right!
- It’s not THAT surprising – he was in two 3DS Theatrhythm games after all
- I’m amazed this didn’t get leaked first
- Between Pac-Man, Rockman, Sonic, Ryu, and Cloud, the game’s really gained an incredible “All-Stars” aspect
- If they’re gonna add new characters, someone like Jibanyan or a squid would’ve been a more exciting choice, I think. But FF7 is REALLY popular with foreigners, so it’s probably an attempt to appeal to them.
- Square-Enix must be hurting financially
- I think there are plenty of Wii U and 3DS gamers who’ve played FF7 before.
- As a fan, I also love that the Advent Children outfit is an option. They really get it.
- Smash’s popularity aside, I’m sure there are people who will be glad that Cloud’s going to be in it.
- As always, the Internet filth of Japan gives a coldhearted response.
- You should at least accept that Cloud’s in the game mostly for foreign gamers. The fact he’s in the game shows that your opinions mean almost nothing anyway.
- I wish they’d put FF7 and Saga Frontier on the Virtual Console… but I guess that’s never gonna happen
- He represents their betrayal of Nintendo though
- I opened the article, hoping to just take a quick peek… but man, nothing beats FF7’s music!
- The music and the sample footage got me pumped up! I can’t wait to buy it now!
- Is Sephiroth in the works?
- I won’t play him if his controls are bad
- People still care about Cloud that much? He’s old news to me.