Nintendo has launched a Japanese field test for Pokemon GO, giving some users the opportunity to datamine the game. The following was discovered:
- There are 151 Pokemon data files in the game. All are the original Gen I Pokemon, unfortunately. Classed into normal, legendary, and mythic.
- 232 moves, 95 of which are ‘quick’ moves. These include moves that are not in the game in the original RBY games e.g. Moonblast. THERE MAY BE 2 MOVES PER POKEMON (Warning: this is not directly confirmed, only implied.)
- Someone found a dodge function. Moves may not have 100% accuracy.
- Badges = Achievements. Includes: Walking a certain distance (Ingress Trekker), Pokedex entries, Pokemon Captures, Forts(Gyms?) defeated (Ingress Liberator?), Evolved, Hatched, Encounters, Pokestops visited(Ingress Hacker?), Unique Pokestops(Ingress Explorer), Pokeball thrown.
- 7 “natures” have been discovered in the game. These are Stoic, Guardian, Assassin, Raider, Protector, Sentry, and Champion.
[*]All Pokemon types, including Fairy, Dark, and Steel, are included in the files.
- Evolution works by collecting “evolution shards” from wild Pokemon to get “evolution stones”. May or may not be unique for each Pokemon.
- The game keeps track of several factors like Ingress, including distance walked, eggs hatched, etc. This might affect, say, egg-hatching.
- There will be trainer customization. Example skin. There are in total 52 items (23,328 unique combinations)
- A variable related to the PokeNav has been found.
- IAPs spotted include “ball”, “medicine”, “food” bundles and “gem” packs. There are 4 tiers.
- Items include Pokeballs, Potions, Max Revive, 3 battle items, and 5 types of Berries (Razz, Bluk, Nanab, Pinap, Wepear). All these berries are introduced in Gen III, and they have no battle effects in the main game. Separated into 6 categories: Pokeball, Food(berries?), Medicine, Boost, Utilities, Camera.
- The trainer level cap seems to be at 50 for now. Inventory limit is 1000 for items, and 500 for Pokemon and eggs.
- The menu includes the Pokedex, Pokemon, and Items. Game engine is built on Unity.
- The teams are blue, red, and yellow.
- DAMAGE variables are included in the files. Also: “PokemonAttack baseDef indivDef PokemonDefense”. CPs seem to be unique to each individual Pokemon, and higher CP means a harder catch. Most likely stands for “Combat Points”.
- A variable called “Gym Points” was found. No idea what this means.
- Biomes (courtesy of /u/DonniesCatch) can be found, including locations like “Train Station” or “Hospital”. Separate biomes seem to have different backgrounds for Pokemon encounters/gym battles. Bonus pic.
- From the game map screenshots, there seem to be a day-night cycle.
Pokemon GO will be released on iOS and Android mobile devices later this year.
when dataminers make a game look more interesting…
Next, Dataminers inspect a clip from Miyamoto’s interview and manage to access the network of Nintendo of Japan, finding every single detail about the NX
Original 151 only? … Leaves room for Pokemon GO content updates or something I guess.
Love the original 151. Not really into this idea, but whatever. I’m still holding out for a real adventure through the Pokemon worlds!
“All are the original Gen I Pokemon, unfortunately.”
Unfortunately? Those are the only ones I know!