Japanese gaming magazine Weekly Famitsu has been celebrating the Nintendo Switch’s fifth anniversary in its latest issue and has revealed the best-selling software in Japan since the March 2017 launch. The best-selling Nintendo Switch game so far is Animal Crossing: New Horizon which was not only a great game, but something fun to play during the COVID-19 pandemic when countries where in their respective lockdowns. The second best-selling Nintendo Switch game is Super Smash Bros Ultimate which creator, Masahiro Sakurai, won a special award yesterday for Most Valuable Creator. Here’s the top ten best-selling Switch games since March 20217.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 7,183,333
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 4,764,379
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 4,429,626
- Pokemon Sword / Shield – 4,309,812
- Splatoon 2 – 4,031,223
- Ring Fit Adventure – 3,074,777
- Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 2,597,078
- Minecraft – 2,514,952
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl – 2,502,926
- Monster Hunter Rise – 2,357,260
Thanks to Greatsong1 for the news tip!
I’ve got the Top 3.
First time I see a list that features smash sales more than Mario Kart. I also expected MonHon Rise to be higher since the japs eat it. Perhaps after Sunbreak is released come summer
Unless Minecraft for Xbox counts, I don’t own anything on this list.
I’ve got the Top 4.
All but 7 and 10 for me.
For all it’s praise and renown it blows my mind that BotW isn’t on that list. I guess it’s a lot more popular outside of Japan? Seems to be the case since it’s #4 in global sales: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html