Nintendo has announced that it’s planning a large number of improvements to Miiverse over the coming months. Miiverse producer Kiyoshi Mizuki revealed in his GDC talk that the Miiverse API will be updated in a future version of the Wii U Software Development Kit. This will allow a number of features that will improve interactions in Wii U software. Here’s a summary of the changes.
- Players will be able to send and receive comments in-game.
- Players will be able to see ‘Yeahs’ in-game.
- They can follow users, and see who users are following in-game.
- Users will be able to launch games from Miiverse Posts
- Launch buttons on Miiverse posts can contain program arguments, so it will be possible to boot directly to a certain level or menu in a game
- Can work with online datastore for additional functionality
- Mizuki posited the potential application of level editing and sharing via Miiverse;
envisions a game where users bring the game to life (sounds very LBP)
- User Sub-Communities (like Mario Kart 7’s) are coming to Miiverse
- Can be used to organise and hold tournaments
- First game to use them is Wii Fit U
- Nintendo is canvassing developers for anything else they’d like to see in the API