We are now approaching that time when we will be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of top lists from the decade. Today, Metacritic has revealed the top ten highest rated games of the decade and the two top publishers are Nintendo and the acclaimed Rockstar. The highest total score is 97 which was awarded to all the games in the top five based on Metascore. Enjoy!
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii, 2010) 97
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch, 2017) 97
3. Red Dead Redemption 2 (PlayStation 4, 2018) 97
4. Grand Theft Auto V (PlayStation 4, 2014) 97
5. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch, 2017) 97
6. Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360, 2010) 96
7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360, 2011) 96
8. The Last of Us (PlayStation 3, 2013) 95
9. The Last of Us Remastered (PlayStation 4, 2014) 95
10. Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360, 2010) 95
They couldn’t count Last of Us and remaster as the same thing? It’s barely in uplifted at all and is basically just a ps4 port o3o
1. Wow those were this decade? Most of them feel like relics at this point
2. Really, 2 copies of the same game? Twice? Isn’t RDR 2 just a straight upgrade of 1, cause if so just put 2 on there… Also Last of Us Remaster is definitely not its own separate game warranting its own spot…
3. Metascores are a joke anyway. I love Mario, but even I acknowledge that its ridiculous for every one to get a minimum score of 90. Game review companies just give high scores so they can stay in high standing with Game Companies so they can get early copies of the games for review and exclusive interviews. They more exist to promote games through journalism rather than actually giving honest reviews
Really? I can’t think of a Mario game that has a metascore over 90 that doesn’t deserve it. Maybe Sunshine? Honestly, Mario is a really poor example – those games are crafted with the utmost care and quality, with Galaxy 2 and Odyssey being clear examples of genre-defining greatness and definitely both in the top 10 best games I’ve played this decade. If either of those games had less than 90 I’d be questioning the effectiveness of Metacritic as a platform.
Mario games, especially a lot of the 3D ones from this decade, are outstanding, and like another commenter said, handled and crafted with the utmost care. And we’re talking about two of the BEST Mario games from this decade, how many Mario games were released that DIDN’T make this list? I don’t think they give him a free pass. But hey, it’s fine if you feel that way. I do agree about the Last of Us thing though. It’s a little redundant.
And RDR2 is it’s own thing from the first one.
Don’t have a problem with this list apart from Last of Us being on there twice. They might as well have the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild if they’re doing that
Skyrim has absolutely zero business being rates that highly.
Im gonna review bomb one of the Last of Us games to get it off this list 😋
Unless Last of Us’s “Remastered” version had shit load of things changed between it & the original game that made reviewers go back & re-review the game, it definitely has no business being on there twice.
Galaxy definitely deserves that spot. Lack of Dark Souls is a bloody shame though.
Probably because most of today’s game journos are little casuals that would be better suited playing Candy Crush Saga games instead. lol
No Bloodborne means this list is garbage.
Does RDR2 really deserve to be that high? I’ve not played it yet, but I often hear a lot of negative things about the game.