An anonymous source with close ties to Nintendo believes that they know how much Nintendo’s manufacturing costs are for Wii U, and also how much the system will retail for when it makes its debut sometime after this years E3 event in June.
- Total cost of materials to manufacture the Wii U console (includes cost of controller) is estimated to be around $180
- Controller’s total bill of materials and components costs no more than $50
- Wii U will be no less than $300 when it launches- NFC capabilities for each new Wii U controller costs no more than $5 to implement
- Price of NFC implementation in mobile devices is expected to fall below $1 in the near future
- Microsoft’s Kinect cost $56 after tearing it apart
- Wii U controller’s cost of materials would be slightly less than what Kinect cost