Hey! Pikmin Does Not Support 3D On Nintendo 3DS

The recently revealed box art for Hey! Pikmin confirms that the upcoming Nintendo 3DS title doesn’t support the 3D feature; it can only be played in 2D mode. Scheduled to launch on July 28, the game tasks players with throwing all types of different Pikmin using the handheld’s touch screen to solve puzzles, overcome challenges and defeat enemies through side-scrolling levels. It was unveiled during the latest Nintendo Direct broadcast.

1. King Kalas X3 {Greatness Awaits at Sony PlayStation 4! Please, Nintendo! Blow me off of the fence at E3 onto your side so I can say the same for Switch, too!} says:

Wow. Then why even bother putting it on there? Just put it on Switch. Least on there people who are interested in this can actually enjoy H.hellaawesome D.efinition quality. Now they got to sit through S.hitty D.efinition quality instead.

*shrug* Oh well. I want Pikmin 4, anyway.

1. myownfriend says:

I’m guessing it’s partly due to it being made for dual screens or because the game is played in a portrait orientation or because it was built around touch.

Hm. Yeah. You’re right. You know more about hardware & software tech than I do so I won’t argue. Still, I guess because of GameFreak being lazy with not implementing the 3D effect for Sun & Moon, Nintendo figures they can do the same.

1. myownfriend says:

Thanks for the compliment lol When it comes to Game Freak, I think it is just laziness. In this case, I think Nintendo decided against 3D for Hey! Pikmin since the content is spread across both screens. With 3D on, then a monster might have it’s top half be 3D while the bottom half is 2D. It would have been an extremely weird decision.

1. It is not laziness. The games would be a lagfest if 3D was used.

1. myownfriend says:

True. I forgot the game had some performance issues.

2. King Kalas X3 {Greatness Awaits at Sony PlayStation 4! Please, Nintendo! Blow me off of the fence at E3 onto your side so I can say the same for Switch, too!} says:

I disagree since GameFreak could have gotten the 3D effect to work fine with very little issues. They might have had to delay the games but that’s an issue I’m willing to deal with to see better quality from the SD quality since 3D makes it look slightly better than it is.

1. How? The game lags even with no 3D. One of the reasons why Triple Battles didn’t return. I am 100% certain that they tried and couldn’t get the 3D to work.

1. King Kalas X3 {Greatness Awaits. This use to be something that awaited those for all consoles. It's sad it's mostly just a PS4 slogan these days. Maybe Nintendo will get back to that greatness with the Switch. Only time will tell.} says:

Well if it’s not laziness then that means they couldn’t handle the 3DS’s tech. And if they can’t handle the 3DS’s tech, they’ll probably be just as terrible with something more powerful like a Switch. Or even something more powerful than that. But that’s what happens when you stay with the same old tech & sprites for over 10 years when 3D polygons was a thing.

1. Or, the simple answer: the game was too big for the tech. Seems to be a thing with recent Nintendo systems.

3. Chips says:

Which brings in to question…

What’s the point of the NEW 3DS then?

1. I highly doubt that they wanted Pokemon to be NEW exclusive.

2. It can also be because that not even the NEW 3DS can’t handle the 3D.

2. Deepsouth says:

I agree with someone else about dual screens being the reason for no 3d, but at the same time I agree with you too. Playing a game on the 3ds with no 3d is like eating food with no seasoning.. it just ain’t the same. I would have much rather had it on the Switch. I cannot stand games on the 3ds that don’t take advantage of the 3ds capabilities.

3. maybe because the 3ds isnt a dead platform

2. ??? says:

At least put 3d on the new 3ds enhanced version

3. RidleySlayer says:

This about sums it up…

I wonder how long before someone comes to the rescue to defend this. I don’t give it long since the defending & damage controlling for Nintendo has been high in the past month & something days. It’s not gonna calm down any time soon, either, as long as the Switch is making bank. *shrug* Oh well. Nintendo Switch selling well is good for all of us so I can live with the rise in defending.

||It’s a weapon for Nintendolings, I don’t know why you humans even care, same with the Mobile Infantry nonsense…||

1. You tell ’em, COmmander! The Nintendolings deserve high quality weapons that will not injure their developing optical sensors!

Too bad some of the Nintendolings don’t want high quality as they are perfectly okay & happy with crap. I expect Nintendo to make great games. Not crap.

(I took that from Death in his debut episode in Family Guy back during the beginning of Season 2. I’d post a video of it but youtube sucks these days.)

2. no ones gonna come defend lack of 3D because no one cares

I guess you missed the Pokemon article awhile back where people actually defended the lack of the 3D effect in Sun & Moon. *shrug*

4. gamemaniac7509 says:

Look at Olimar’s posture. Looks familiar?

5. My god. Might as well make it a 2DS exclusive.

1. My God… It’s full of stars…

6. Bowler AA says:

its a stylus game you would be push the stylus thru the pikmin to control them USE YOUR COMMONSENSE

7. nintynate says:

Forget 3ds please lol where’s pikmin 4??!!!?

8. GerikDT says:

I think it’s safe to say that if they release a separate 3DS successor, they won’t bother putting in 3D functions again. I actually really like the 3D, so that’s a bummer.

9. rwqfsfasxc says:

I’m honestly not that surprised considering how recently more 3DS games are only playable in 2D like Pokémon Sun and Moon and Super Mario Maker for 3DS

1. steveb944 says:

SMM was a direct port so it’s understandable they wouldn’t screw over the Wii U buyer that much.