Beloved Nintendo character Wario has his very own section on the North American Nintendo 3DS eShop this week. The company has listed which games Wario has appeared in and they list Super Smash Bros 3DS as one of those games. Wario has yet to be officially announced, but it would be surprising if he wasn’t added.
US video game retailer GameStop have teased on Facebook that they have a big announcement to share with everyone tomorrow. They showed the image which is posted above which looks like a protagonist from the Assassin’s Creed franchise. Most people assume it will be Assassin’s Creed Comet which is rumoured to be in development for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. While PlayStation 4 and Xbox One owners will get the gorgeous Assassin’s Creed Unity. When the news was originally reported there was no confirmation of a Wii U version. We shall have to wait and see tomorrow.
Thanks to those who sent this in.
Update: Turns out the rumours and guesses were wrong. The big news is that GameStop will have an exclusive Red Hood story pack for Batman Arkham Knight which is on PS4, Xbox One, and PC
Nintendo Japan announced today that SUICA cards will finally be useable for NFC payment on the Wii U starting July 22nd. What’s interesting is the SUICA website says that you need Wii U firmware version 5.1.0 to be able to use SUICA cards on the Nintendo eShop. We are currently at version 5.0.0. The update is thought to come on Tuesday, but there’s no word whether the update is for Japan only, or whether the west will get it. We should find out in due course along with any other changes the future update may bring.
Thanks, Tony K
A reader has been in touch to say that the development team over at Duaik are currently in talks to bring indie platformer Aritana and the Harpy’s Feather to the Wii U eShop. The game is currently greenlit for Steam. Here’s the intriguing puzzle platformer’s description.
“Aritana is a platform game which the main aspect of its mechanics is the possibility of changing your stance. This stances define attributes such Speed, Jump Force, Attacks and Special Abilities. The player must choose between these stances to overcome obstacles and fight the Spirits of the Forest in a quick, intuitive and fun gameplay mechanic. “
“Aritana will learn new moves and abilities throughout the game and combo movements will help him fight the forest spirits. Meanwhile, Mapinguari will chase him constantly, forcing battles that require concentration and mastery of all skills learned.”
“With the help of the Shaman’s Staff and the benefits of each stance, Aritana will be able to search for the Lost Artifacts and gain access to the Spirit World. This place is a labyrinth that holds pieces of medicinal leaves which, when collected in large quantity, can increase the player’s maximum health.”
“The game follows the old platformer style and brings a high difficulty for those who are careless. Mastering different attacks and avoiding enviroment traps are key elements for the game.”
A GameStop manager has been in contact to say that he’s heard rumblings in the office that that every copy of Smash Bros for Wii U will come with a free Amiibo figure. He also says that he has been hearing that the street date for the Wii U version will be November 21st. He wishes to remain anonymous, so I can’t verify these claims. However it does sound fairly plausible. Hopefully we won’t have to wait too long for Nintendo to grace us with an official release date.
Russian retailer VideoIGR has begun listing Resident Evil: Revelations 2 as available for pre-order. What’s interesting is that neither a Nintendo 3DS or a Wii U version is listed. The site has the game down for PlayStation 4, Xbox, One, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360. We haven’t had a new Resident Evil title for quite some time and I suspect Revelations performed quite well given the platforms it appeared on. Hopefully we will hear something from Capcom soon.
You’ve already heard the rather exciting rumour relating to Retro Studios and Monster Games resurrecting the Diddy Kong Racing franchise, now more information about the title has surfaced online. The sources can’t be verified, but a couple of members of NeoGAF claim they have insider knowledge of the project. You can read their thoughts, here.
“DKR2 to be released in 2016, codeveloped by monster and retro. monster is handling the 3ds version while retro takes care of the wii u.”
“It has a longer development cycle than usual because it will be the first ‘unified’ game (ala Smash Bros) produced by Nintendo of America. it is far and away Nintendo of America’s largest project to date. All NoA hands are on deck, including redmond’s NST”
- Tanabe is a key player and is largely responsible for making this all happen
- Amiibo’s were critical in reviving NoJs interest in DKR2. internal forecasts show Amiibo’s will sell like hotcakes and nintendo is going to make amiibos of nearly every franchise they have ever owned. one major objective of the game is to boost the popularity of lesser known franchises in order to push amiibos
“I’m gonna have to finally come out and be “that guy” in this thread.
Never thought this would be something I could say, but I have a line of communication with Monster, and while I can’t confirm 100% it’s DKR2, I can confirm, perhaps well outside my comfort level, that they’re working on something for the WiiU that is pretty much talked about by everyone involved as the most exciting thing to be done on WiiU yet, and that they are certain it’s going to blow people away upon reveal. I genuinely wasn’t told details because while I may want to know, I don’t trust myself with that much knowledge, so it’s likely best they didn’t either.”
“More fuel to the fire; Nintendo might have bought Timber in Oct 2012″
Interesting one of the Xenoblade developers has retweeted the Super Smash Bros character reveal announcement for Monday. Usually when a member of the Xenoblade team retweets a Nintendo tweet then it generally means that they’re somehow involved. This has led many to believe that the announcement will be for Shulk.
The internet is no stranger to rumours and the latest one involves Diddy Kong Racing. The rumour states that both Retro Studios and Monster Games are currently working on Diddy Kong Racing 2. Nintendo was apparently set to show it E3, but decided against it as they thought it may damage sales of Mario Kart 8. As this Reddit thread has pointed out, the information comes from a blog created yesterday that is still using a wordpress.com domain. Take this all with a grain of salt.
- Retro Studios and Monster Games have been collaborating on Diddy Kong Racing 2.
- This is why Monster Games ported Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and worked with Retro Studios on DKC: Tropical Freeze.
- Diddy Kong Racing 2 began as a prototype in 2006. The animal transformation vehicles idea in Excitebots (2009) came from Diddy Kong Racing 2 prototype. The animal vehicles came from the idea of riding animal buddies in the Donkey Kong Country series.
- The Wii Diddy Kong Racing was cancelled due to Donkey Kong Barrel Blasts low sales. It was also cancelled because Diddy Kong Racing DS didn’t sell as well as the original N64 game.
- Nintendo asked Monster Games to work on Pilotwings because they were impressed with the flight/airplane mechanics in Monster’s DKC Racing prototype. Diddy Kong Racing was well known for letting players ride karts, hovercrafts, and planes.
- Diddy Kong Racing 2 started up development for again (this time for Wii U) due to the amazing sales of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Mario Kart Wii.
- Kensuke Tanabe, the producer of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze, pitched the idea of Dillon (from Dillon’s Rolling Western) to be one of the racers in the game. Tanabe was the producer of Dillon’s Rolling Western, and he liked the idea of having a roster of lesser known Nintendo characters.
- Tanabe thought that the concept of lesser known Nintendo characters “fighting to be Nintendo’s big star” could prove to be interesting for Diddy Kong Racing. Characters such as Mallo (Pushmo) and Rusty (Rusty’s Real Deal Baseball) were also added as racers to fill out the roster.
- Nintendo purposely held off from showing Diddy Kong Racing 2 at E3 this year to avoid sabotaging the excitement around Mario Kart 8. It sounds like Diddy Kong Racing 2 will be revealed sometime in 2015, and released that same year.
- Diddy Kong was taken out of Mario Kart 7 and 8 because of Diddy Kong Racing 2. Diddy Kong had appeared in Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii.
We’ve already learned that Super Smash Bros on the Nintendo 3DS will contain a game mode called Smash Run. The mode sees players tackle numerous enemies from established Nintendo franchises. Speaking to YouTube channel GameXplain, Chris Niosi talks about other boss characters that are meant to show up in Smash Run. Among those discussed are Bonkers, Kraid of Metroid fame, a Kremling boss, and even the Great Reaper from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Gamenesia believe that the Kremling boss is Klubba, from Donkey Kong Country 2. You can watch the video above.