Nintendo

Nintendo: Iwata Claims Nintendo Doesn’t Need New Console Soon

wii_colours

Nintendo president, Satoru Iwata, has causally informed investors that he doesn’t believe Nintendo need a new console anytime soon.

“Among the 295.6 million active users, 209.5 million people are playing with our products. To tell you the truth, we at Nintendo had set 200 million as an internal milestone, and we already surpassed it this spring!.

“In addition, among 149.5 million of potential users – another room of expansion – there are 86.1 million people who have never tried Wii or DS yet. So numerically there is still a possibility to even double the current user population of Wii and DS.

“Thus we do not believe at all that the expansion has come to an end nor do we need a new console any time soon. So we have not set specific years for the lifespan of current game systems.”
– Satoru Iwata

9 comments

1. Nintendo still hasn’t produced a console that is equal to the graphic quality of the PS3 and Xbox 360.

2. Nintendo doesn’t need to make a system equaly powerful to the PS3 and 360. Have you not seen monster hunters tri and the conduit? game designers need to spend more time building an engine thats modified for the Wii. As a game designer myself I know this takes a lot of time but I think its worth it if the developers would just put more money into it.

3. Graphics are not important to most people.
    PS3 has most powerful machine and worse sales
    The Nintendo DS has graphics worse than the PS2, and that is about a decade old, yet it has sold more than any other console, by millions.

I’ve not bought a Xbox or PS3 and have no desire to, but I have a DS and a Wii, my Wife has a DS, my mom has a DS, my brother has a DS and a Wii, my aunt has a DS, etc, etc.

1. Yeah what ever you guys say I mean..

Nintendo Wii is not much more then a Gamecube with a motion controller. I see no reason to give them any of my money because its gotten out of hand! You have to buy a Nunchuck, maybe a classic controller to play TurboGrafx-16, and now a Wii Motion plus? Are you out of your freaking mind Nintendo? What do you think I am the bank? Most people cant even afford a second Wii remote let alone a second Wii Motion plus or a second Nunchuck! While you are swimming in money I cant even find nothing to play on this dang thing! There may be Super Smash Bros Brawl but the online is so unstable I would name it worst online service in the world! How about you fix the online for that game because its not to late and with the money you over charge on games that I can just buy for PS2 for a cheaper price anything is possible,

Oh and another thing! How come Wii Ware is getting TMNT Re-Shelled and not Marvel Vs Capcom 2? I don’t understand because TMNT Re-Shelled is a bigger size then Marvel Vs Capcom 2. So whats the big reason why I cant download it onto my Wii? Please let us know

Sorry if this post got out of hand I just thought you should know what its like to own a Wii at the moment.

4. “Are you out of your freaking mind Nintendo? What do you think I am the bank?”

Excuse me, MunnyMunnyMunny, but I think it’s more than reasonable for them to introduce more controls. First off, the WiiMotionPlus is a 1:1 realtime sensor, which is a superior technology to any console we’ve ever seen, and on top of that, it’s only $20. Maybe you could take the $20 from the 120 you saved getting a Wii that a PS3.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “You have to buy a Nunchuck, maybe a classic controller to play TurboGrafx-16, and now a Wii Motion plus?”

You can easily play all games on virtual console with one Gamecube controller. And if you don’t have one, the classic controller is only $20. Not exactly bank-breaking.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Most people cant even afford a second Wii remote let alone a second Wii Motion plus or a second Nunchuck!”

…. it’s 40 + 20. You can’t save up 60 dollars?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “I cant even find nothing to play on this dang thing! There may be Super Smash Bros Brawl but the online is so unstable I would name it worst online service in the world!”

Yea, Smash Bros has some crappy online, but Mario Kart has some of the best online gameplay on Wii. By the way, you can also thank Nintendo for free internet. Unlike Bill Gates, who charges money for internet, you can connect to your own internet. Same with DS.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “with the money you over charge on games”

… I believe PS3 games are 20-30, or in some cases 40-50 dollars more than Wii games.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “How come Wii Ware is getting TMNT Re-Shelled and not Marvel Vs Capcom 2”

This most likely has nothing to do with game size, but rather game rights. Nintendo has a hell of a time dealing with the publishers of games when it comes to Wii Ware. Publishers can be very picky when it comes to which consoles their games are on.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    “I just thought you should know what its like to own a Wii at the moment”

Likewise.

1. mario64mario says:

superior technology?

================================================
      From the start the Wii should of had this already. When I first bought the Wii I thought it was already going to have the “superior technology” out of the box, its not my fault it took 2 years for them to release the real motion control! Just like the Wii Jackets, they should give them out for free to people who already had the Wii 2 years before all this.

mario64mario says:

Maybe you could take the $20 from the 120 you saved getting a Wii that a PS3.

mario64mario says:

. it’s 40 + 20. You can’t save up 60 dollars?

================================================
      Hellllllsss!! No! Are you out your freaking mind to? You think its okay to blow sixty bucks on a Wii Remote that should already come with a Nunchuck! OMGOODNESS I think that is the biggest scam of all! The Wii Motion Plus is more of a accessory then a freakin Nunchuck! Thats like if you sold the N64 controller or the Gamecube controller with out the analog stick! That is ridiculous so I guess your probably going to buy that dang vitality finger sensor thingy to huh Mario64Mario? That is the exact problem with Nintendo right now. They are forgetting about the gamers and are mainly focusing on what crazy things they can sale the most.

mario64mario says:

Smash Bros has some crappy online

mario64mario says:

mario64mario says:

Mario Kart has some of the best online gameplay on Wii.

mario64mario says:

By the way, you can also thank Nintendo for free internet. Unlike Bill Gates?

================================================
      OMGAWD I don’t have to thank anybody for the internet I already pay for. Thats just how it should be. Nintendo charges just to play Guitar Hero World Tour and that game sucks if you ask me! So why should I thank them?

By the way, PS2 online is still running strong and its also lag free just like PSP. Not to mention the PS2 has built in broadband which is 85% more stable then Wi-Fi but If you really want a better connection you have the option to go out and buy another freaking accessory that should have came built into the Wii in the first place! Once you got the Wii Lan Adapter have fun finding someone thats actually using broadband and not Wi-Fi so you can finally get the full potential out of your connection..:/

mario64mario says:

================================================
      PS3 games and Wii games are pretty much the same price. A PS3 game might be 60$ at max maybe for a month but 50 is the average price for new games on Wii and PS3. No offence to Nintendo again but if the same game is coming out on PS3 and Wii its almost a no brainer for me that I’m going to get the PS3 version over the Wii version. Why you ask? Compare Sonic Unleashed on PS3 Vs the Wii version and you will understand better were I’m coming from. I will even get the PS2 version if its cheaper like Resident Evil 4 on PS2 is 8 bucks! Thats a deal compared to the Wii version thats 20! I could care less about Wii motion controls if its going to cost me more money. Like TMNT Smash Up coming this September, As long as it has a online service for the PS2 there is no way in hell im going to get the 50$ Wii version over the 30$ PS2 version if they both have online.

“How come Wii Ware is getting TMNT Re-Shelled and not Marvel Vs Capcom 2″

================================================

The Licensing restrictions may get in the way but the filesize restriction is a very sorry excuse. Its not the end of the world because I own a Dreamcast anyways with Marvel Vs Capcom 2 but my point is I need some real freaking games A SAP! Nintendo should be trying to do everything possible to get them here and if they fail in the process tell us! At least we know they tried. It shows the fans they care and makes me fill less ripped of for buying a Wii.
      ================================================

just thought you should know what its like to own a Wii at the moment

================================================

5. “From the start the Wii should of had this already.”

If it had, then the Wii would’ve been very delayed, and would’ve cost a lot more.
    ================================================

“I’m comfused what you are trying to say because I already have a Wii and no thank you I don’t want to spend more money ;) but a PS3 is something very much worth saving for. No offence to Nintendo.”

… I mean the difference in money. And that’s if you get the cheapest PS3. I understand the PS3 is an amazing console. I’m not doubting that. But the Wii isn’t given far enough credit than it’s due. The only reason why games look like crap are because the developers don’t want to spend the money on their games. Not that the Wii isn’t capable of supporting them. In fact, Wii games could possibly be even more capable that XBOX360, with the use of the dual layered discs. But as stated before, the developers are too cheap and the dual layered discs cost too much. That’s why Smash Bros. is the only game to have it.
    ================================================

“Hellllllsss!! No! Are you out your freaking mind to? You think its okay to blow sixty bucks on a Wii Remote that should already come with a Nunchuck! OMGOODNESS I think that is the biggest scam of all! The Wii Motion Plus is more of a accessory then a freakin Nunchuck! Thats like if you sold the N64 controller or the Gamecube controller with out the analog stick!”

Not really. The nunchuck, as you may have noticed in Boxing on Wii Sports (and a crapload of other games too) actually has motion sensor technology in it. It’s more than a piece of useless plastic.

==============================================
    “That is ridiculous so I guess your probably going to buy that dang vitality finger sensor thingy to huh Mario64Mario? That is the exact problem with Nintendo right now. They are forgetting about the gamers and are mainly focusing on what crazy things they can sale the most.”

1. No. I personally think the vitality sensor is a stupid idea. I’d rather see them breath new life into the Virtual Boy or Nintendo 64 DD before coming out with this piece of crap.

2. Not true. Not right now at least. Nintendo has been talking recently about adding in the play-through feature, which will allow users to watch a level be completed by a computer or have the computer complete it for them (Nin hasn’t decided what it’ll be yet, but it’s something to that extent). This, at first glance proves that Nintendo is appealing to a casual gamer, which they are, but upon further examination, this can only lead to one thing. The actual game itself will increase in difficulty. Nintendo’s been feeling the heat from the hardcore gamers bitching that the games are way too easy for quite some time. If fact, ever since Gamecube came out. So, this is Nintendo’s solution. A difficult game with an option for casual gamers. Not an easy game with no options for hardcore gamers.
    ================================================

“Yeah I just got done trying to play some online right now and guess what? Everyone on my list was saying they got disconnected. People I was not even playing with were complaining and just before that I was in a match and we all got disconnected! I couldn’t even sign back in! I think the servers were even shut down today because when it finally started working again everyone was gone!”

Smash Bros is still the most popular online game, so I’m not suprised that the servers are taking a beating. I can only suggest for you to try and find a time at which the servers might be less used? Depends on your personal schedule though.
    ================================================

“My ass! Gamecube Controllers are 30 to 40 bucks and guess what I don’t have one! The Classic Controller is a waste of batteries and I heard there not that good anyways. Even if the Classic Controller was good theres now way I would buy it because I’ve wasted enough batteries to the point I’ve been taking them out of the clocks and any TV remotes were I live. Pretty much any device I can find around here.. those batteries are being illegally donated to the Wii Remote. Why? Because im a hardcore gamer I need to play, forget all that casual crap I need to play now!”

Maybe you should invest in some rechargeable batteries. It was probably one of the best things I ever did when it came to my Wii. I actually forgot that the classic controller plugged into the Wii remote (I don’t have one, I usually just use the one GC controller I have).

================================================

“I cant afford to play Mario Kart no longer then a hour because it kills the batteries too fast..
    I agree the online is great even though you cant text or speak but the gameplay is flawless.. Its to bad they don’t use the same net code or servers for Brawl.”

Yet another reason to find a GC controller. As for the online; I dunno. I figure they have the same kind of systems for each online, but more people go on SSBB.

================================================

“Nintendo charges just to play Guitar Hero World Tour and that game sucks if you ask me! So why should I thank them?”
    How do you have to pay nintendo for playing GH:WT online? The only time you pay is when you purchase a song online. Playing is free.

“If you really want a better connection you have the option to go out and buy another freaking accessory that should have came built into the Wii in the first place!”

You don’t need a Wi-Fi Adapter if you have a wireless router. My Wii connects better than my DS does.
    ================================================

“By the way I said PS2! Not PS3 I don’t know why you keep mentioning the PS3 for.”

Cause their games go for anywhere between $60 – $75 dollars here. All Wii games are $50, with the exception of Zelda: Twilight Princess, which is $60. Even Mario Kart + Wii Wheel is $50.
    ================================================

“Capcom has stated that they are unable to release the game on Wii due to licensing restrictions (they can only release it as a downloadable title) and WiiWare’s filesize restrictions.”

yea, so the Wii’s got some download size issues.

==============================================

“I’m Speaking for myself and others that are in the same situation that im in. This is not to ruin anyones fun or make them change there mind about a console. I’m sharing my experience here so hopefully someone at Nintendo will listen and realize these are your real fans! Not just the ones that only own a Wii. The ones that been purchasing every console or handled Nintendo has ever put out since day one. Even though I never owned a game Gamecube until I got a Wii. We still have a NES & N64 and they’re still played like they just came out yesterday. I love those consoles the most and I would love to see them go back to there roots for there next console that Nintendo makes they should put there heart and soul into the production like they did with the NES & N64. Those are ground breaking consoles! Thats what the definition of a next gen console is. They are still legends in there own league. I still consider the Wii as a PS2, Dreamcast era console. The Wii Remote and DVD games doesn’t make up for the title “Next Gen” to me but thats just in my opinion. I wont be surprised to see people disagree. I’ve been playing Nintendo not to long after I was born so buy now I think I know my chicken when I say something. In lamest terms “I know my sh!et” and I stand buy everything I’ve said & wouldn’t change a thing.”

I absolutely agree with you 100%. I’ve been pretty disappointed with Nintendo’s franchise games recently. I think they really should reimburse us, the gamers who supported them through the years. I’ve only ever bought Nintendo consoles. I really feel they owe it to us to listen to what we want, rather than what’ll get them more money (Wii Fit; Vitality Sensor, etc.) And it’s not like we got Nintendo products and moved on. The systems and games are still in good condition and still working. That should really say something to Nintendo about their fan support. I’m sorry to hear you issues with Wii, but don’t look down upon it. It may have a newfangled motion sensor deal, but it’s just like any other Nintendo console. As more games come out for it, the games appear better and better.

6. im glad that there not making a new system i hate buying the system just one game i want to get but they dont make it for the “old” system

7. Marvel Super Heroes – Melee Edition 4 Play as over 40 of your favorite Marvel characters (Including Spider-Man, the X-MEN, the Fantastic Four, the Avengers, and Ghost Rider) on over 20 locales. Whether alone, with a teammate, or with a friend, Marvel Melee is sure to delight any Marvel fan. Version 4 includes 15 all-new characters not in the original game and plus six new stages.