The launch of the Nintendo Switch console is rapidly approaching on 3rd March, and Nintendo of Europe can confirm that Nintendo eShop will be available at launch, complete with a line-up of downloadable indie games. To celebrate many of these upcoming “Nindie” creations before launch, Nintendo of Europe will publish a localised version of Nintendo of America’s Nindies Showcase video presentation on Tuesday 28th February, at 17:30 GMT. Please visit www.nintendo.co.uk at this time to watch the video.
This year, the Nintendo eShop will be home to more than 60 Nindie games, in addition to digital versions of packaged games, DLC, and more. Three Nindie games that are planned to launch in Europe at the same time as the console on 3rd March are:
- FAST RMX from Shin’en Multimedia: This lightning-fast anti-gravity racer is exclusive to Nintendo Switch.
- Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment from Yacht Club Games: The latest campaign from the critically acclaimed hit Shovel Knight is a full-featured game starring Specter Knight, one of the enemies from the original game. The massive prequel campaign includes even more content than the last campaign update, Plague of Shadows. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment is exclusive to Nintendo Switch for a limited time.
- Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove from Yacht Club Games: For both new knights and Shovel Knight’s biggest fans, Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove includes the original Shovel Knight game, as well as all previously released campaign updates – even Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment! Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove will be exclusive to Nintendo Switch for a limited time.
Some additional news about the launch of Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch includes:
- People who already have funds in their accounts on a Nintendo 3DS family system and/or Wii U can access them using a shared wallet that works on Nintendo Switch as well. Once they link their Nintendo Network ID and Nintendo Account and then their Nintendo Account to their Nintendo Switch console, this functionality becomes possible.
- Virtual Console games will not be available on Nintendo Switch at launch. We will share more information in the future.
- A News feature will offer updates about the latest additions to Nintendo eShop, as well as providing information about upcoming games and other updates from Nintendo.
- To access Nintendo eShop, a system update is required that will be available on launch day. The system update downloads in the background, is designed to install quickly, and doesn’t disrupt gameplay.
After visiting Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch for the first time, gamers can also purchase Nintendo Switch digital games on www.nintendo.co.uk. Users can purchase the games on Nintendo’s website and have them download directly to their Nintendo Switch console at home or on the go, wherever there is a Wi-Fi connection.