It’s Wednesday which means its time to find out how the various video game software and hardware have performed in Japan. It’s been another good week for Monster Hunter World and the PlayStation 4 as both have taken the software and hardware top spots respectively. However, if you look at the overall top ten it is littered with titles for Nintendo platforms. Here’s the best-sellers this week in Japan:
Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
- [PS4] Monster Hunter: World (Limited and Bundle Editions Included) (Capcom, 01/26/18) – 346,187 (1,591,356)
- [PS4] Dragon Ball FighterZ (Bandai Namco, 02/01/18) – 68,731 (New)
- [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Bundle Version Included) (Nintendo, 07/21/17) – 25,758 (1,997,568)
- [NSW] Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Nintendo, 01/18/18) – 21,279 (114,059)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04,28,17) – 21,263 (1,307,897)
- [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey (Bundle Version Included) (Nintendo, 10/27/17) – 15,978 (1,587,954)
- [NSW] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks, 02/01/18) – 13,922 (New)
- [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Limited Edition Included) (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 12,709 (847,677)
- [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon (Nintendo, 11/17/17) – 11,028 (1,539,029)
- [3DS] Mario Party: The Top 100 (Nintendo, 12/28/17) – 7,037 (149,345)
- [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters 2: Treasure Legend Banbaraya – Sword / Magnum (Level-5, 12/16/17) – 6,053 (496,905)
- [NSW] Arms (Nintendo, 06/16/17) – 4,453 (360,484)
- [NSW] 1-2-Switch (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 4,391 (391,086)
- [NSW] Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch (Bandai Namco, 09/07/17) – 3,767 (110,217)
- [NSW] Pokken Tournament DX (Nintendo, 09/22/17) – 3,731 (218,461)
- [PS4] Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (Square Enix, 01/11/18) – 3,691 (137,791)
- [PS4] Call of Duty: WWII (SIE, 11/03/17) – 3,363 (382,650)
- [NSW] Monster Hunter XX Nintendo Switch Ver. (Limited Edition Included) (Capcom, 08/25/17) – 3,180 (211,119)
- [NSW] Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Limited Edition Included) (Nintendo, 12/01/17) – 3,158 (181,254)
- [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf Amiibo+ (Nintendo, 11/23/16) – 2,775 (371,535)
Hardware Sales (followed by last week’s sales)
- PlayStation 4 – 86,174 (110,023)
- Switch – 49,165 (47,107)
- PlayStation 4 Pro – 23,113 (30,122)
- New 2DS LL – 6,522 (6,842)
- PlayStation Vita – 4,207 (3,744)
- New 3DS LL – 3,857 (3,377)
- 2DS – 1,082 (1,094)
- Xbox One X – 565 (1,618)
- Xbox One – 72 (68)
Good for the Switch
The Switch isn’t looking very good against the PS4 in Japan. But I’m just happy to see the two Xbox consoles at the bottom. Right where they belong. I can’t believe the Vita is still selling ANYTHING.
When Monster Hunter comes out and there isvacSwrich shortage problem right now with the Swtich what did you think woukd happen?
You obviously don’t read well the charts. Read the rest of the replies to find out why.
That’s because the console is like what? More than 4 years old and already has a bigger install base. BUT, that still won’t stop the Switch’s insane selling rate.
The Switch has zero big hitters right now and is still selling 50k+, while the PS4 finally got their magnus opus plus the best fighting game this generation, idk what you are smocking sir, but the Switch is doing incredible with while having Zero games.
Monster Hunter is kind of like Pokemon over here…although Pokemon is big over there.
Zelda, Mario, Doom, Skyrim, MK8Deluxe, Splatoon 2, Rocket League, I can keep this up all day. I see plenty, again, PLENTY of big hitters in my eyes and that’s still not the end of it.
Monster Hunter is really a game changer in Japan huh
Ya, the PS4 will continue to sell a lot for the next 3 or 4 weeks. It will then go back to 30-50k a week.
wow, ps4 sales was huge this time, Monster hunter world?
Monster Hunter is huge over there, the only thing that matchs it in the states is Pokemon.
Having zero games to sport is nothing to be proud at all…
Dragon Ball is a so little IP in Japan? I thought anime were far more popular there to pull alone sales. Also isn’t it a very good game? Not a wonderful start.
Is in western countries were dragon ball is a monster in popularity, in japan is just another popular anime
A common one? Wow, pretty strange. Here in Italy is all about Dragon Ball. Still debuting with 70k it’s a bit disappointing (looks like a good game).
The problem of the last DB is the story.
I don’t know about the story but I do see that the game got very favoureable reviews everywhere. Looks like a critics success.
Man, could you imagine the switch numbers if MHW was on it? ~50k still not bad though. Are Switch shortages still a thing in Japan? If so I’d love to see the numbers when there isn’t.
‘We are shipping the Switch every week and recently the shortages have almost been resolved’. – cit.
Pingback: Nintendo Switch Skyrim Has Lackluster Performance in Japan