One of the bigger news stories this week was the announcement by Ubisoft that they are bringing the beloved Wii U launch title ZombiU to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. A number of you were wondering how the game would retain its intense atmosphere without the second screen. Thankfully, Ubisoft has explained how the new, and possibly improved, Zombi will work with traditional controllers.
“We knew from the beginning that maintaining the tension and feel of the original was one of the main challenges, as the way ZombiU was presented on Wii U cannot be reproduced,” says Hélène Henry, Zombi’s producer.
- Devs wanted to maintain a minimal HUD in order to preserve ZombiU’s sense of loneliness.
- Mini map now appears in a corner of the screen. Only appears when you need it.
- Increase of FOV to give player more spacial awareness.
- Accessing your backpack still does not pause the game. Backpack interface appears in the middle of the screen while player can still see to the left and right to watch for zombies.
- Multiplayer mode from Wii U removed as it simply couldn’t be done without two screens.
- Two new melee weapons: shovel and nail bat. Shovel has longer range and can hit multiple enemies in one swing, nail bat does more damage and also can hit multiple enemies.
- Flashlight has a new high setting with a wider, farther reaching beam but it will attract even more zombies when you use it.
- Flashlight now has a battery and has to recharge (ala Half-Life)
- Game “will perform better on newer consoles” (obvious) and controls have been tweaked to be more responsive.