News publication Semi Accurate is reporting that then Nintendo NX handheld will be using the Nvidia Tegra-based SoC. The article is currently only available to subscribers but NeoGAF member Fourth Storm has rather handily summed up what was written.
- Though Nvidia downplayed console margins, their pride was hurt by the loss in console contracts. All the talk about “focusing on Shield” was a cover for the fact that MS and Sony had soured on them and would not enter negotiations.
- Nvidia team was told to get a console win or “go home.” Enter Nintendo, who apparently made off very well in this deal. This to the point that SemiAccurate questions whether this is a “win” at all for Nvidia.
- SA has heard that Nvidia are promising software, support, and the whole shebang at a very low cost. According to one source, Nvidia may even be taking a loss on this deal. (Take the second sentence here with an extra portion of salt)
- Not mentioned which generation of Tegra or which process node will be used or when the handheld is scheduled for release.
- No mention of the home console, but we can speculate what that might be and who might provide the chipset for that one.