They let the cat out of the bag with the Switch Parental Controls App, but you can now download a brand new update to the Switch firmware. This brings the Nintendo Switch firmware to version 5.0.0. Now, you can get friend suggestions from Facebook and Twitter, provided you and the friend have linked your Nintendo Accounts to them. Here’s the patch notes:
Added the following system functionality
- Facebook and Twitter friends that also use Nintendo Switch can now be added through Friend Suggestions
- Friend suggestions are based on the Facebook and Twitter accounts you have linked to your Nintendo Account
- To view your friend suggestions, from the top left of the HOME Menu head to your User Page > Friend Suggestions
- You must be 13 or older to use this feature
- Select from 24 new ARMS and the Kirby series icons for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
- Digital software purchases made from a PC or smart device will start downloading sooner than previously, even if the Nintendo Switch console is in Sleep Mode
- Filter News to view only unread news or news from specific channels
- To keep the Parental Controls PIN private, the default method for PIN entry has been changed to entering using the Control Stick and buttons instead of the on-screen number pad
- When prompted to enter you Parental Controls PIN, press and hold the + Button to change between input methods
- Captured videos in the Album will be restricted by Parental Controls depending on the Restricted Software setting and Software Rating Organization
- Using the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, add specific software titles to your whitelist to exclude them from the console’s Parental Controls Restricted Software setting
- Play-Time Limit restrictions will still apply even when the software title has been whitelisted.
- Receive notification when pre-purchased software is ready to play
- Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip colors will now display in the Controllers menu
General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience, including:
- Resolved an issue that caused Play Activity to display incorrectly in the Profile section of your User Page
Boo! Nothing to get excited about. I just want a proper activity log!!
This update gives us nothing. The last few actually adds support for Keyboard and shit.
I was expecting a long record feature, but this is ok for now.
Okay? It didn’t change or add shit and call it “5.0”.
Well, I’m ok with this for now.
I’m not since it’s being called a “major” update and we waited months for SOMETHING.
I was expecting something far more interesting then this update. Nintendo is just not gonna listen to us.
I’m expecting Bluetooth Headset, Browser, Themes, profile access from boot, anything. But it’s just BS icons that I’m not gonna give a crap about and Parent Controls with a PIN…but no PIN for console locking, media or purchasing protection.
I don’t even used parent controls. I’m expecting a 10 min record feature this year.
IDK about 10 minutes though. They might max for 5 minutes.
Fans wanted 10 mins.
We’ll see what happens.
Should have been called a 4.*insert whatever number here* update. Being a full number upgrade suggests a major update in a majority of circles but it looks like a minor one to me. Maybe I’ve just been spoiled by PS4’s major updates.
Exactly. I expected more for a X.0 update. iOS does it, Android does it, 3DS does it. Even Blackberry does it. lol
How are you not super excited that Kirby icons can now be used?
IDGAF about icons. Where are the missing/new features?
When are they going to release the themed backgrounds and music for the main menu??? Customization Nintendo… Customization!!!
And there we go. No delays.
The Facebook/Twitter and PIN stuff are the only things that really interested me & those should have been available from day 1. *shrug* Other than that, nothing to be excited about.
marcus sellars was right once again about this…. hes gaining quite some credibility
Nice! New icons! Where additional themes at though?
Where’s anything? Web browser, themes, longer recording plus universal for all games instead of just Nintendo’s, no YouTube/Instagram support, name searching for friends, like WTF?!
They didn’t even add Pokemon icons.
Hm, pretty cool. I’m not expecting anything big until september when the new online drops.
Wow….this update is ASS. There’s literally NOTHING new added here. No themes, no universal capture for all games, no extension of recording time, no browser, no themes, NO NOTHING! It shouldn’t even be called “5.0” because it’s suppose to be a BIG update. This didn’t change shit.
Shit, said no themes twice. lol
They didn’t update the third party softwares record Feature.
I know. How alienating.
Now wake me when we can backup our saves, before we lose them like BotW guy did with his.
That’s the most important thing needed.
People are complaining about themes. 99% of the time you’ll be in a game and not gazing at your home menu LOL
If Nintendo are still charging people to use fancy ones on 3DS, then enough people clearly care about that extra layer of customisation.
They didn’t add Pokemon icons and the long record feature.
I’ve gotten so bored with the black and white themes that I’ve resorted to changing the settings to “invert colors”. W H E R E A R E T H E T H E M E S
although I’m glad Lola Pop is an icon now.
I just want virtual console and Mario sunshine
That fix came quick.
I wonder if the play activity issues meant they brought this out earlier than they were planning to and there were meant to be some bigger things added that they hadn’t finished yet?
that really wasn’t that big of an issue to warrant a rushed update.
So not-feature-packed suddenly is the same as rushed?
*points to this being a whole update, not a decimal update* This early in the system’s life, updates like those should be packed with features. Since it’s not, some will believe it’s a rushed update. But this is Nintendo & they tend to suck at updates. *stares at what their so called “updates” did to Miiverse*
*points to a random number* heh, tis merely but a…WHOLE NUMBER.
*stares at nothing* heheh, you can’t tell what I’m actually looking at so maybe I should type it out.
*twas merely an act*
The reply was to the original poster, who speculated that they released this update sooner than planned to fix the issue he mentioned and some features meant for the update did not get in because of this. That would mean rushing it.
But anyways, I did not claim it was rushed, I just said that the glitch mentioned by the original poster shouldn’t have caused any pressure to them to put on hold any planned content update, like the OP speculated.
We have actually no way of knowing what the update actually contained, since Nintendo is pretty tight-lipped about their patch notes.
There is rumors circulating that the update was actually a huge update to prevent hacking and piracy on the system.
Pingback: Twitter User Finds Way To View Twitter Feed On Nintendo Switch – My Nintendo News
Pingback: The Recent Nintendo Switch Firmware Update Adds Support For Some Headsets – My Nintendo News