An interesting interview has been published with Mario Kart 8 producer Konno and director Yabuki. The team shared that development of the game started roughly one year ago and that it’s only being developed by EAD Kyoto, so there’s no external team helping out as there was for Mario Kart 7. Here’s a few choice excerpts from the interview.
- MK8 development began just more than a year ago.
- No others studio involved, 100% EAD Kyoto.
- About the Gamepad use: “Our priority is to provide the remote display on the GamePad only. We have other ideas, but that’s all we can tell you for now.”
- Why no F-Zero instead ?: “H. Konno: It has always been a Mario Kart per console, so we wanted to get a new one to have more people interested by our new system. But I also hope that there will be an F-Zero.
- About tracks size: “In Mario Kart 8 tracks have also been narrowed compared to Mario Kart Wii and reflects more the size of the road. “
- About customization: ” Like Mario Kart 7 (but) with a little more choice”
- No editor even if they talk about it.
- About a Double Dash mode using the Gamepad: “H. Konno: For Mario Kart Wii, 7 and 8, we decided not to use it. But this is a request that is often heard, so maybe we can meet this desire.