A serious scare at the Boston Pokemon World Championships was thankfully avoided last weekend after police apprehended the culprits hours before the event. According to recent reports, the two men – who allegedly plotted to shoot other competitors – were both experienced players of the franchise and had been invited to attend the tournament. Kevin Norton aged 18 and James Stumbo aged 27, both of whom are from Iowa, made threatening statements in a closed online Pokemon forum and on other social media sites before driving to Boston for the competition.
Prosecutors said the suspects posted photos of a high-powered rifle and shotgun in the trunk of a car stating they were “ready for worlds Boston here we come!!!” And in another instance, one suspect wrote: “I will just shoot him on Friday thanks”, after he was banned from a chatroom. Police were able to uncover the firearms, a hunting knife and hundreds of rounds of ammunition from the vehicle. Neither of the men had a gun license. The suspects are not currently facing charges for the threats they allegedly made online, but a court hearing is scheduled for September 1. Police said the investigation is continuing.