It’s a new day which means that it is time for yet another Nintendo NX rumour! This time the information comes from Reddit user stimpak_vendor who claims he works for a AAA development firm that has access to Nintendo NX development kits. stimpak_vendor claims that the platform is slightly more powerful than Sony’s popular PlayStation 4 system and also uses ARM Architecture. Here’s what he had to say about the matter.
Our devkit’s controller:
- Doesn’t have an oval screen. Ours is a standard rectangle.
- Has physical buttons with a screen behind them. It doesn’t have a form shifting screen, nor does it have a touchscreen with haptic feedback.
- Is hardwired to the devkit, which looks like a boring black box with some USB ports and a disc drive.
- However, that fake does get a couple things right. It does have scroll wheel shoulder buttons, but in addition to them it also has two regular shoulder buttons labeled ZL and ZR. It also has a headphone jack in the bottom of the controller.
Some other things I can tell you:
- I don’t know if the NX is backwards compatible with the Wii U or 3DS or not, but it doesn’t look like it is. The system is different enough from both that I think it would be hard to play games from other consoles.
- The controller is sort of a game system in its own, but it’s not a replacement for the 3DS. It works like a companion app on a phone, and you can take it with you and control some things from your game, like how the VMU on the Dreamcast let you take a Chao with you and train it.
- No one outside Nintendo knows what the NX’s name is. It’s still the NX here internally.