We are all anxiously awaiting news of Nintendo’s next platform which is codenamed the Nintendo NX. The system is officially due to be released next March but we all know so far is rumour and speculation. The folks over at IGN have discussed the latest rumours and match them up with what they have heard via various sources. Here’s what they say:
- Peer is “100% convinced” that the NX will use memory cards (i.e. like 3DS carts).
NX is a portable device you can dock to your TV and play games (confirmed by their own sources & NX developers)
- Share button seems plausible
- They’re really skeptical of the “split d-pad” rumor considering the traditional d-pad has been a focus of their marketing lately and the d-pad is something people love about Nintendo’s systems, but anything’s possible.
- Detachable controllers are low budget. Very cheap (like the Wii nunchuck). Peer has heard they’re using IR and it’s not your main way of controlling the game (a “travel controller”). Speculates they could make cheap controllers that attach to the system.
- Peer thinks the 720p resolution for the screen is “very credible” and “very highly likely”.
- One developer talked to Peer and called NX “a reboot for Nintendo”. Peer says to him it means carts, not having to decide between playing on a console/portable whether going back to the glory days of NES, SNES, and the Wii.
- They think the SCD with a dock with additional hardware is possible.
Just Dance on the system means a way to measure what you’re doing while dancing (some sort of hardware).