Nintendo Fixes Legend Of Zelda Typo After Thirty Years

Players in 1987 were told to find the “Eastmost Penninsula” for a secret in the Legend of Zelda. However, the better spellers among you will notice that this is not how “Peninsula” is traditionally spelt. While this mistake remained in the Legend of Zelda for the next thirty, even featuring the Virtual Console release, Nintendo took the time to correct their typo late last year. When the Legend of Zelda was ported to the NES Classic, Clyde Mandelin noticed Nintendo had changed the spelling. This is certainly incredible attention to detail, Nintendo still improving their games thirty years later.

1. n8lewinski says:

Phew… now I can move out of my parent’s basement

1. ryanzb111 says:

Guess who got discombobulated! Not I.

2. Soooo… When is someone going to fix “All your base are belong to us”?

1. SmittZero says:

The developer of Zero Wing went under in 1994, so I guess the answer is ‘whenever a fan feels like hacking the ROM’.

3. News must be slow if this is considered news.

4. ??? says:

I kinda wish they spelt it worse just to piss off grammar nazis

5. Pingua08 says:

i’m gonna miss those mistakes, i myself have a copy of Resident Evil REVELAITONS for the 3ds.

1. Pingua08 says:

and, sorry about the grammar mistakes. english is not my native language.

1. I wouldn’t worry about it. Half the time I can’t even get NintenMau5 to write in proper English… And he’s English for frack’s sake! :P

2. steveb944 says:

Is that in game or on the case? I still have the game and don’t recall that typo.

1. Pingua08 says:

It is on the side of the Case. I read somewhere some time ago (like 4 years) that later the mistake was fixed. Cheers.

1. steveb944 says:

Ah that’s right, I recall digging through store shelves once looking for the misprint. I thought you meant in game.

6. What the heck is a Penninsula anyway?

7. This makes me think about the Bimmy and Jimmy typo in Double Dragon III. Or the several typos in Ghostbusters on NES. “CONGLATURATION”.

8. I thought it was an article about the “Gannon” spelling in the intro scroll.

9. King Kalas X3 {Greatness Awaits at Sony PlayStation 4! Please, Nintendo! Blow me off of the fence at E3 onto your side so I can say the same for Switch, too!} says:

Did they change Gannon to Ganon, too, by any chance?

10. It still doesn’t mean anything. The Japanese version says something completely different. WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN OLD MAN?! Who translated this?!