Animal Crossing: New Horizons has been a huge success for Nintendo and to put things into perspective it has been revealed that it is actually the second best-selling game in Japan of all-time after the beloved Pokemon Red, Pokemon Green, and Pokemon Blue, on the classic Game Boy. Here’s a look at the top twenty best-selling games of all time in Japan:
1. Pokemon Red/Green/Blue (Game Boy) – 10,230,000
2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) – 7,500,000
3. Pokemon Gold/Silver (Game Boy Color) – 7,1710,000
4. Super Mario Bros. (Famicom) – 6,810,000
5. New Super Mario Bros. (DS) – 6,490,000
6. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (DS) – 5,850,000
7. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) – 5,800,000
8. Pokemon Black/White (DS) – 5,530,000
9. Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire (GBA) – 5,400,000
10. Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS) – 5,330,000
11. Brain Age 2 (DS) – 5,100,000
12. Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (PSP) – 4,850,000
13. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) – 4,640,000
14. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) – 4,630,000
15. Pokemon X/Y (3DS) – 4,600,000
16. Pokemon Sword/Shield (Switch) – 4,520,000
17. Dragon Quest IX (DS) – 4,400,000
18. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP) – 4,250,000
19. Tetris (Game Boy) – 4,240,000
20. Super Mario Land (Game Boy) – 4,190,000
We have not even reached the holiday season yet. This is amazing.
It will be dependent on whether or not the pandemic is still going on. This game wouldn’t be tearing up the world like this if people weren’t forced to be social distant, using a game to interact. We even have people dating now through Animal Crossing!
Wow! I knew this game was selling well but I didn’t think it was selling THIS well! 😮
Lockdowns changed everything. There are millions of people who can’t be with people, and this gives them a way to do it- we even have Animal Crossing dating now!
Pandemic changed the game- literally! This thing has sold like wildfire, because people can’t congregate and socialize in the real world, so they do it in Animal Crossing.
This game came out right as a less-than-ideal situation- the pandemic- arose. As such, the world responded with “if we can’t meet personally, we’ll do it digitally,” and AC provided a means to do just that. I’m sure the game would have sold well under normal circumstances, but in the unusual situation, it sold even better.
It may seem morbid to say so, but New Horizons came out at the *perfect* time.
The top 10 is just Mario, Animal Crossing and Pokémon.
Makes me wonder about the top 10 in Europe/America, completely different I’d bet.
Animal Crossing was selling this well. Klungo hurry up with my grapes and water so we can party and cast more spells.
I cant believe this game is No. 2, I guess because people stayed home to avoid that covid flu.
I regret not buying this game back when it first came out.