The latest edition of Japanese gaming publication Famitsu contains new information related to the forthcoming Fatal Frame: The Black Haired Shrine Maiden. We’ve yet to hear whether the game will be localised, but here’s the details for the Japan only game at present.
We have three main characters:
- Yuuri Kozukata (不来方夕利). We already know all of this, except she goes to the mountain to search for the owner of the shop, Hisoka Kurosawa. Voiced by Risa Tawata.
- Miu Hinasaki (雛咲深羽), a girl searching for her missing mother, who vanished when she was a child. Yes, she’s Ruffles. She’s never known the love of parents and feels empty. Heads to the mountain believing her mother is there. Voiced by Maaya Uchida.
- Ren Hojo (放生蓮), aka The Dude. He’s a failure of an author who’s known Yuuri for ages. He’s quite whimsical and is scolded by his assistant for it. He hears of a custom involving burial photos, and goes to the mountain to research for his new book. Voiced by Tatsuhisa Suzuki.
- Hisoka Kurosawa (黒澤密花), owner of the shop, who uses kagemi skills to search for lost things. Goes to the mountain to look for a missing girl and vanishes. Voiced by Atsuko Tanaka.
- Rui Kagamiya (鏡宮累), Ren’s assistant. She respects him, calling him sensei, and as well as helping him out she thinks of him as family. Voiced by Maaya Sakamoto.
There are three main locations the player can explore at the start, like the forest and buildings around the mountain.
- Mikomori Onsen: An abandoned old, big house known as a famous ghost spot where lots of ghosts are.
- Kurosawa Antiques: Also a cafe! Yuuri lives and works here. People come here to request lost things be found, or have their fortunes told by Hisoka.
- Shirazu no Mori (Unknown Forest): A forest in the mountain. Ever since it became famous as a suicide spot, there’s been a big fence around it, which people sneak in through. There are also rumours of a murderer hiding inside…
- Game plays out a bit like mission mode, where you choose your mission (you can replay it however much you like) and then you unlock new missions. Once you complete the chapter goals, you get the next chapter.
- Your goal is to find people. Each person has different reasons for going to the mountain and getting there, so you’ll have to gather as much info about them as you can.
- You can use something that’s like a “scent” of a person from things like a hair, their documents etc. that aids your “kagemi”.
- Then you use your clues to search for them. If you chase the memories of them you’ll find them, so you have to follow their past footsteps.
- When you find them and “bring them back” from their spiriting away, it’s mission complete, but you’ll have to watch out for the ghosts lurking…
- You can also use your “ghost sight” to find hints from ghosts. Looks kind of like hidden ghosts in other games.
- Gameplay is on the TV, the map is on the gamepad.
- The touch system for picking up items is back. As are ghost hands.
- Amano confirmed to be contributing a song also