The next video games in the iconic Pokémon series, Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, are now available exclusively on Nintendo Switch™ systems. As the first core Pokémon RPGs to launch on Nintendo Switch systems, Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield include a new region to explore, new Pokémon to discover, and new ways for Pokémon fans to play.
- A New Region to Explore—Dive into the Galar region for the first time! Trainers can explore a region with an idyllic countryside, contemporary cities, thick forests, and craggy, snow-covered mountains.
- The Dynamax and Gigantamax Phenomenon—In the Galar region, Pokémon can Dynamax, taking on gigantic appearances during battle. When Pokémon Dynamax, their power is boosted and they become much more difficult to catch—and to take down. In very rare occurrences, some Pokémon can go one step further by Gigantamaxing. When Pokémon Gigantamax, they not only become bigger but also alter their appearance and use powerful G-Max Moves that regular Dynamax Pokémon cannot use.
- Traverse the Wild Area—The Wild Area is a vast expanse of untamed wilderness in the Galar region that stretches between the region’s different towns and cities. Here, Trainers will find a wide variety of wild Pokémon to battle and catch. The types of Pokémon that can be found in the Wild Area and the situations in which Trainers can battle them can even change depending on in-game weather conditions.
- Team Up for Max Raid Battles—While battling Pokémon in the Wild Area, Trainers can take part in a new battle format called Max Raid Battles. These are epic multiplayer battles in which up to four Trainers band together to catch a wild Dynamax Pokémon.
- Three New First Partner Pokémon—Get to know one of three first partner Pokémon: the Grass-type Chimp Pokémon Grookey, the Fire-type Rabbit Pokémon Scorbunny, or the Water-type Water Lizard Pokémon Sobble.
- A Myriad of New Pokémon to Discover—The Galar region is host to its own unique Pokémon ecology, from the Sheep Pokémon, Wooloo, which provides the wool for goods in Galar, to the Grass-type Flowering Pokémon, Gossifleur, which has pollen that is used in medicine, to many Galarian forms of beloved Pokémon from other regions!
- New Legendary Pokémon—The Galar region is home to two mysterious Legendary Pokémon: Zacian and Zamazenta. Zacian holds a sword in its mouth and attacks with grace, while Zamazenta’s shield-covered body turns back most attacks and its regal movements overwhelm opponents.
- Relax Using Pokémon Camp—There are ways to train and increase the bond with a Pokémon beyond battles. Trainers can set up camp almost anywhere to have fun with their Pokémon. Trainers can play with them using a variety of toys, cook and enjoy different curries together (a popular dish in the region), and even visit other players’ camps.
In celebration of the launch, Trainers can sign up today for the first official Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield Online Competition—Galar Beginnings! Trainers can register for this exciting competition Friday, November 15, at 00:00 UTC, through Thursday, December 5, at 23:59 UTC. The competition will take place Friday, December 6, at 00:00 UTC, through Sunday, December 8, at 23:59 UTC, and it will use a Single Battle format. A Nintendo Switch Online membership (sold separately) and a Nintendo Account are required for Online Competitions.
For more information about Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, please visit Pokemon.com/SwordShield.
Choose a First Partner in the Pokémon TCG: Galar Collection
Trainers can also explore the Galar region through the Pokémon Trading Card Game in the new Galar Collection, which includes three foil promo cards showcasing Grookey, Scorbunny, and Sobble. In addition, each box includes a collector’s pin featuring one of these first partners, an oversize card featuring the Legendary Pokémon Zacian or Zamazenta as a new Pokémon V, and four Pokémon TCG booster packs.
Source: The Pokemon Company