The 10th anniversary of the beloved Nintendo 3DS system has recently taken place and to commemorate the event Japanese magazine Weekly Famitsu has shared the top thirty best-selling physical software for the long-running dedicated handheld platform. As you would expect, the top ten consists of some of the best games released on the platform, but the overall top thirty shows just how far the Yo-Kai Watch series fell, as at one point it was up there with the Pokemon games. Here’s the Japanese top thirty Nintendo 3DS physical game sales of all-time in Japan:
1. Pokémon X / Y – 4.504.626
2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 4.476.950
3. Pokémon Sun / Moon – 3.844.977
4. Monster Hunter 4 – 3.591.334
5. Yo-Kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits / Fleshy Souls – 3.210.295
6. Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire – 3.170.976
7. Mario Kart 7 – 2.887.908
8. Monster Hunter Generations – 2.833.860
9. Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters – 2.655.357
10. New Super Mario Bros. 2 – 2.624.127
11. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS – 2.613.529
12. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate – 2.571.350
13. Pokémon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon – 2.529.930
14. Yo-Kai Watch Blasters – 2.191.034
15. Super Mario 3D Land – 2.178.637
16. Tomodachi Life – 1.826.729
17. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age – 1.817.915
18. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate – 1.691.202
19. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate – 1.589.804
20. Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura – 1.516.996
21. Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer – 1.507.126
22. Puzzle & Dragons Z – 1.477.621
23. Yo-Kai Watch – 1.303.281
24. Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past – 1.238.660
25. Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS – 1.196.045
26. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon – 1.057.454
27. Monster Strike – 999.955
28. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King – 929.179
29. Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry’s Wonderland 3D – 921.310
30. Kirby Triple Deluxe – 851.295
I would date some girls like Mallow (pokemon), Peach, Samus and Isabelle if I could.
You can’t go wrong with most of these games, i think i own almost all of them (except the JP only ones) and enjoyed every single one.
I am very surprised at this list.
– I never realized Monster Hunter was so popular to take up two spots in the top ten.
– I’m surprised Smash Bros didn’t make top tep, but I can see why some other games like Yo-Kai Watch, Mario Kart, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing can beat it.
– It’s kinda sad to see that only 26 games were able to break 1 million in physical sales, but definitely including digital sales would add more games to that list.
– I’m also suprised there’s no Zelda games, considering MM and OoT remakes were very hyped, even ALBW was well-received too.
This is just physical sales in Japan region only. Zelda games have become much bigger sellers in NA and Europe than Japan.
Boi u hav NO idea how much influence Monster Hunter has in Japan. lol Its crazy.
Yokai Watch was very popular in Japan, like crazy popular. Pretty much a strong Pokemon competitor, especially with toys.
Which makes it an even bigger shame that their popularity in the U.S. has nearly evaporated due to Yo-Kai Watch 4 STILL being stuck in Japan for God-knows-why. I remember when people used to talk about Yo-Kai Watch 4 potentially rivaling Pokemon SWSH back then when both were still coming out, which was a doubtful thought at the time since we still didn’t know what SWSH had in store.
Considering how we’ve now seen the horrendous quality that SWSH had, though, I personally believe Yo-Kai Watch 4 would’ve been a fantastic competitor in the monster-collecting genre against Pokemon at the time, but it’s such a damn shame that it didn’t come out back then.
Now that I think about it now, though, perhaps it was actually a smart move on Yo-Kai Watch’s behalf to not release their game here while Pokemon was super-hype and wait it out until the hype dies down to release YW4. Still, though, that still doesn’t answer why they still haven’t released it here yet to-this-day. It’s been two years for crying out loud, man; it’s such a shame to see a promising game franchise wither away into obscurity.
I had no idea Kirby Triple Deluxe would be so low on the list and am especially surprised that Kirby Planet Robobot is nowhere to be seen.
I REALLY thought Kirby was more popular in Japan.
Only Triple Deluxe made the list and it’s at number 30.